Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX
Camp Wolverton - Patches 1973-2011  
jump to Wolverton patches from   >    West L.A. Council    Wolverton Ski Bowl    1939-53    1954-72    Pack Trips    14,495 Club

Great Western Council Era 1973-86
 
         The merger of Crescent Bay with San Fernando Valley Council brought Camp Wolverton under the direction of Great Western Council in 1973. Crescent Bay Council Scouters remained closely involved with the staffing and operations of the camp through its final summer in 2011.
          The 1972 patch was also used in 1973 & 1974. It had a blue background and a redesigned bear that some staff members referred to as the "pig bear".
 

    1972-74
  1975   1976 
 
 
 
     
    Embroidered. Orange border.
 "Mountain Men"

see varieties of this patch in the
IDENTIFICATION GUIDE

  Embroidered. Dark Blue border.



 
  Embroidered. Orange border.
 "Great Western Council"


 

 
    1977-79   1980-83
  1984-87
       
    Embroidered on Dark Brown felt.
Orange border
.

see varieties of this patch in the
IDENTIFICATION GUIDE

 
  Embroidered on Light Brown felt.
Orange border
.




 
  Embroidered on Light Brown felt.
  White border
. Vertically stitched brown mountain. "Mountain Men" was replaced with "Mountaineers" at the request of Margaret Stowell, respecting that women also used and staffed Camp Wolverton.
Comes in cloth & plastic back varieties.


back to top
Western Los Angeles County Council Era  

Great Western Council changed it's name to Western Los Angeles County Council in 1985. Camp Wolverton continued on
without significant changes under the new council name. Patches were issued intermittently during this time with
no Camp Wolverton patches being issued for ten summers between 1989-97.

      1988
50th Summer
   
 
1998 & 2000
             
1989-97


There were no new patches designed or made during the years 1989 through 1997.  Leftover patches from the 1986-87 years were sold at the camp until they ran out around 1994.  There were no patches sold at camp again until the summer of 1998.


 
    Embroidered. A special design was created to commemorate the 50th summer of Camp Wolverton. Also, for the first time “Western L.A. County Council” was used on Wolverton patch. Designed by Frank Glick.

see  >  original artwork

   
 
Embroidered on Light Brown felt.
  White border
. Horizontally stitched brown mountain.

See the difference between this patch
& the 1984-87 patches in the
IDENTIFICATION GUIDE


          1999 marked a return to the Hamm's Bear mascot incorporated into a blend of previous Camp Wolverton designs. Patches used between 1999-2011 were designed by Frank Glick and came in both Camper and Staff versions. The 1998 patch was sold at camp in 2000 and there were no patches available at camp between 2001-02, 2005 & 2009.
 
               2000-2002  
No New Patches Issued
  2005          
No Patch Issued
   

1999 Camper
60th Anniversary
  2003-2004 Camper
 
  2006 Camper
 


1999 Staff

 

 
2003-2004 Staff

 

2006 Staff

Embroidered. Brown rolled edge for campers; Red rolled edge for staff.
  Embroidered. Black rolled edge for campers; Light Blue rolled edge for staff.
  Embroidered. White rolled edge for campers; Yellow rolled edge for staff.

 
                                                                                             NOTE: No patch issued for 2009

2007 Camper
 
  2008 Camper
70th Summer
  2010 Camper
100 Years of Scouting



2007 Staff
   
 



2008 Staff

 
   




2010 Staff

 
Embroidered. Brown rolled edge for campers; Red rolled edge for staff
  Embroidered. Brown rolled edge for campers; Red rolled edge for staff
  Embroidered. Dark Green rolled edge for campers; Dark Red rolled edge for staff


 
    2011 Camper
73 Summers
  2011 Staff
73 Summers
   
   

           
   
    Embroidered. Navy Blue rolled edge for campers. Design inspired by the first
High Sierra Camp patch from 1939
 .

  Embroidered. Red rolled edge for staff. The 2011 Camp Wolverton patches
were the issued for the final year of
Camp Wolverton.

   


SPECIAL THANKS to Frank Glick for his help in preparing this page.
 
back to top

Wolverton Ski Bowl  

Rope Tow Ticket
1956


           Wolverton Ski Bowl was not part of Camp Wolverton or the BSA. Patches shown below are for general interest only. The ski area opened in 1921 and was located about a mile from Camp Wolverton at the end of Wolverton Road in Sequoia National Park. Rope tows were first installed by the Sequoia Ski Club through a permit issued by Sequoia National Park in 1945. The Park Service stopped renewing the permits in 1982 and the rope tows were removed.  Cross country skiing is still allowed in the area although downhill skiers need to hike to the top of the runs which are no longer maintained.



Rope Tow ticket issued by Sierra Ski Club
to member of Troop 34 Venice on a winter camp trip
to Camp Wolverton. Cost: $2.00. Hand dated 3/18/56.
It is not clear what the letter "K" stood for.

           




 
Early 1960's ?
  Late 1960's
  1970's
       
         

 
Original Artwork
 
1988 Patch
Design by Frank Glick





back to top
 
 
 
  IDENTIFICATION GUIDE    

1972-73
TYPE A
 
  1974
TYPE B
 
  1977-79
TYPE A
 
  1977-79
TYPE B
 
                  

TYPE A
has blue twill that goes up to the right at about a 30º angle. Bear & mountain are brown.
 
TYPE B
has darker blue twill that goes up to the right at about a 60º angle. Bear & mountain are reddish brown.
 
TYPE A
  the bear has a
squared brow & forehead.

 
 
TYPE B 
the bear has a
slopping brow & forehead.

 


 
        1984-87
 
          1998 & 2000
 
       
         
   
1984-87
  has a Vertically stitched brown mountain. .
 
1998 & 2000
has a
Horizontally stitched brown mountain.
   

 
    1984-87
TYPE A
 
  1984-87
TYPE B
 
   
                 
   
TYPE A
  has cloth back.
 
TYPE B
  has plastic back.
   


back to top

jump to Wolverton patches from   >    West L.A. Council    Wolverton Ski Bowl    1939-53    1954-72    Pack Trips    14,495 Club

  
Website Builder