Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Council Paper - Letter Stationary  

jump to letter stationary from  >    1950's    1960's 
jump to stationary on other pages  >  letter & note envelopes    


          Council stationary is typically made for "official" use by headquarters personnel and officers. The location and phone number(s)
of headquarters are obviously key information, along with the name of the organization, placed on the masthead. Crescent Bay Council had seven different headquarters locations during its fifty year history and each time they changed locations, new stationary needed to be ordered. As Listings of executives, officers and directors changed over the years, updated versions of the stationary were similarly ordered. Grouping by headquarters location provides an understandable way of organizing Crescent Bay Council letter stationary.


1st & 2nd Scout Headquarters
503 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica
1922 - 1923


          The Santa Monica Public Library at 503 Santa Monica Blvd., on the corner of Fifth St. and Santa Monica Blvd., served as the Council's original location in 1922 where the Mayor granted the Scouts temporary quarters. The City then asked the scouts to move next door to the "old courtroom" in Santa Monica City Hall on the corner of Fourth St. and Santa Monica Blvd.
          There are no known examples of Crescent Bay Council stationary during this time or for these Council locations.
 


3rd Scout Headquarters
1338 Fourth St. Santa Monica
1924 - 1929

          The 1338 Fourth St. address, an empty parking lot in front of the original City garage, was the third location of Crescent Bay District Council Scout headquarters and the first in their soon-to-be own building.
          Construction of a new building on the Fourth St. parking lot, offered up for free by the Santa Monica City Council in order to recapture the space at City Hall, began in November 1923. Plans were drawn and donated by the architect that designed Santa Monica High School. Two thousand used bricks were donated to the Scouts and they set about constructing a 16' wide by 23' deep building.
On February 9, 1924, the Scouts completed the move to the new headquarters by announcing they had contacted the phone company to move the phone (singular) over to the new digs.


1924
Crescent Bay DISTRICT Council
1338 Fourth Street, Santa Monica
J. Gordon Jeffrey - Scout Commissioner
Donald Monroe - Scout Executive
No Asst. Scout Exec on Masthead
Phone: 23421





  


          Oldest and only known stationary from the Council name: Crescent Bay DISTRICT Council. This letter also contains the only known signature of D. Scott Field, the Council's first assistant Scout Executive. Field was from Inglewood, CA. He led the move that split Inglewood, Redondo Beach and other beach communities into their own Council in July, 1925.
          This letter is also significant in that it is the only mention of Crescent Bay's involvement with the Round-the-World flyers circumnavigation in planes built by Donald Douglas Sr. 
          Crescent Bay Scouts guarded the planes at Clover Field for their last overnight stop, refuel and "once over" by Donald Douglas and team, at the end of their trip.




4th Scout Headquarters
Miles Memorial Building
1130 Lincoln Blvd. Santa Monica
1930 - 1948

        Santa Monica City Council decided they wanted their Fourth Street parking lot back to expand city parking and they notified Crescent Bay Scouts they would have to vacate their five year old Headquarters. On September 23, 1929, Scout Executive F. R. Hill applied to the City for use of the front half of the basement in the Miles Building at 1130 Lincoln Blvd. in Lincoln Park a few blocks away. Free use of the space was granted and Crescent Bay Council moved into the new location over the Christmas holiday break in 1929.

1930
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
 
Edw. S. Gillette-Scout Commissioner
Geo. Bergstrom-Asst. Scout Executive
"Subject" & "File No." printed under masthead on right
Phone: 23421

  1932
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
Colin McKenzie-Commissioner
No Asst. Scout  Executive
Phone: 23421
 
           

First known stationary from 1130 Lincoln Blvd. Scout headquarters address. Addressed to William Van Slyke regarding his application for the Harmon Award.
Only example of stationary that pre-prints the words: "Subject" and "File No.", located below masthead on center-right.
Signed: F.R. Bob Hill.
   
Lists Council officers, directors and executives including
 Donald Douglas (Sr.), E.R. Locke (Harold Locke's father)
and Kenneth Monroe (Donald Monroe's brother).
Not signed.


 

   
 1934
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
  Mayo D. Wright-Commissioner
Phone: 23421
George Bergstrom - Director

          
1935
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
  Mayo D. Wright-Commissioner
No Asst. Scout Executive
Phone: 23421


 
 
(Restored partial section cut down and glued into a scrapbook)
Close examination of the upper right corner reveals this letter dated April 18, 1934 is not the 1932 or 1935 stationary.
The top line under "DIRECTORS" begins with GEO.... ,likely being George Bergstrom. He is not listed as a director in 1932 or 1935. Other letter fragments confirm Directors identified on right side are unique to this year's stationary. Perhaps a complete sheet will one day appear but even so, is not likely to be as interesting a letter. Apparently, troop 34 had been accused of CHEATING, then exonerated,  in the playing of a game that awarded a banner.
Signed: F. R. Bob Hill
 
Letter to William Van Slyke.
Signed: Mayo D. Wright, Council Commissioner













 
1939
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
Clyde Pearson-Asst. Scout Executive
Clinton Kirk-Commissioner
Mart Bushnell-Field Executive
Phone: 23421
 
  1941
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
BIG LETTERS
Clyde Pearson-Asst. Scout Executive
Carl Helms-Commissioner
Alden Barber-Field Executive
ONE Phone Number: 41193

 

Lists Council officers, directors and executives.
Signed: Carl Helms, 1939 Pow Wow chairman.


 
Council name & BSA in BIG LETTERS.
One phone number: 41193
Letter to William Van Slyke.
Signed: Hazel Stinton, secretary to F. R.  Hill.
 

 
1941
Sea Scout Division
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
Mart. Bushnell-Field Executive
Clyde V. Pearson-Sea Scout Director
     Gordon Cornett-Commissioner
Phone: 23421

 
  1941-42
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
SMALL LETTERS
Bert Button-Asst. Scout Executive
Carl Helms-Commissioner
Alden Barber-Field Executive
TWO Phone Numbers: 41193 - 41194

 
           

In the 1930's and early 1940's, the Crescent Bay Sea Scouts operated somewhat autonomously as evidenced by this
example of their own stationary. The Sea Scouts retained the original phone number of Crescent Bay Scout Headquarters while headquarters took on a new number.
Signed: F.R. "Bob" Hill.
 

BERT BUTTON, Asst. Scout Executive.
Council name and BSA in SMALL LETTERS
Two phone numbers: 41193 - 41194
Signed
: George Huber M.D. Organization & Extension chairman


 





1947
1130 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica
George Bergstrom & Alden Barber-Asst. Scout Executives
James Whitehead-Commissioner
Phones: 41193 - 41194







GEORGE BERGSTROM & ALDEN BARBER:
Asst. Scout Executives.
Signed: George Bergstrom



5th Scout Headquarters
Culver City Hall
9770 Culver Blvd. & Duquesne Ave.
1948
 
          After Eighteen years, the Scouts were once again asked to move, but this time, the City of Santa Monica offered no alternative space. Crescent Bay Council decided they needed more control over their headquarters afforded only by ownership of their own building on their own land. But securing the right property and building a new building would take some time to organize, time they did not have.  F.R. Hill was able to negotiate a temporary and transitional location in the Culver City Hall while they finished a new office at a new location. This would be the first time in the Council's history where Headquarters would not be located in Santa Monica.
          Crescent Bay Council was located in Culver City for about seven months.
         


 
  1948 Spring
City Hall, Culver City
No Names on Stationary
Phone: Vermont 8-3159
 


   


 
 
For seven months in 1948, Council headquarters took up temporary residence in Culver City Hall after it left the building on Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica. The move was short-lived as a temporary building was erected at the new headquarters location on Gateway Blvd. in West Los Angeles in August, 1948.
Signed
: Alden (Barber). 




6th Scout Headquarters
11632 Gateway Blvd. West Los Angeles 34
1949 - 1961

          The new Council office, built and funded by local scouter support including Anatol Josepho, was located in the Pico neighborhood of West Los Angeles, between Westwood and Mar Vista. The architecturally designed building was modern (for the late 1940's), large and centrally located within the Council boundaries. Evidence indicates the lot and address for the new building were secured by June, 1948. Anatol Josepho gifted a small apartment building to the Council and had it moved onto the lot in August.
It served as the temporary headquarters for Crescent Bay Council until the new Council office could be built in front of it. Construction was started in May 1949 and the Scouts moved into their permanent home that September.
          The Council office apparently ordered stationary for the new location before it was built and occupied by the Scouts. Theories for this unusual circumstance include the new stationary may have served as a promotional tool announcing the move or the Council was reluctant to invest into fancy stationary for the temporary headquarters at Culver City Hall which they anticipated leaving in short order.The actual reasons remain a mystery.
          Along with the Headquarters move, came a split of Santa Monica District into two parts. Up to this point, Santa Monica District
had comprised the City of Santa Monica and all land south of Mullholland Road along the crest of the Santa Monica Mountains and west of Sepulveda Blvd. all the way to the Ventura County line. Expecting increased residential development to the west, Santa Monica City and the growing town of Pacific Palisades to the north and west were combined as the new Wilshire District. Everything west of the Los Angeles City line including Malibu, Topanga, Fernwood and Monte Rio was designated the new Sunset District.

1948 June
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 34
George Bergstrom & Alden Barber-Asst. Scout Executives
Phone: Santa Monica 4-1193
 
  1949
 
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 34
Geo. Bergstrom-District Executive
Alden Barber-Admin. Assistant
 Phone: ARizona 7-4226
 
           

GEORGE BERGSTROM & ALDEN BARBER:
Asst. Scout Executives.
The 1948 stationary lists five districts on the left:
Beverly Hills; Culver-Palms; Santa Monica; Venice; Westwood.
Signed: Virgil A. Bell

 
GEO. BERGSTROM: District Executive
ALDEN BARBER: Admin. Assistant
 The 1949 stationary lists six districts on the left:
Beverly Hills; Culver-Palms; Wilshire; Sunset; Venice; Westwood. (Santa Monica no longer existed)
Signed: (F.R.) Bob Hill


  
1951 February
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Board of Directors & Six Districts on Left
Wm. S. Kenny-Admin. Assistant
Phone: ARizona 7-4226 
 
 

  1951 June
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
No
Board of Directors or Districts on Left
Wm. S. Kenny-Admin. Assistant
Phone: ARizona 7-4226

 
           

Letter announcing resignation of Scout Executive Bob Hill effective March 1, 1951.
Unsigned from R.L. Ryan, Council President

 
   
Letter of congratulations to Proctor Weir on successful
Eagle Scout Dinner.
Signed:
"Bob" (R.L. Ryan), Council President
NOTE: Council President sends letter on June 12, 1951 that lists officers including F.R. Hill as Scout Executive on stationary.



1951 June-1954
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
No Officers
 
  Late 1950's-1961
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Informal Stationary

 

           

Letter of congratulations to Proctor Weir on successful
Eagle Scout Dinner, 1st conducted by Crescent Bay Council.
Signed: Robert "Bob" Miller who had just taken over for
F.R. "Uncle Bob" Hill as Scout Executive.
NOTE: New Scout Executive Robert Miller sends letter on
same day (June 12, 1951) as the R.L. Ryan letter above.
Miller letter has all officers removed from stationary.
 
Crescent Bay Area Council developed a secondary type
of stationary which was use for letters and mass produced mailings. The letterhead featured a scout wearing a
 neckerchief printed on a lower quality paper than the
more formal stationary.

 



Late 1950's-1962
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
NEWS







Crescent Bay Area Council even printed special stationary for writing press releases to local newspapers.This press release dated January 19, 1962, was overwritten in pen with
the 11350 Palms Blvd. address.




RED MAP STATIONARY
1955-1960

          Dating stationary used by Crescent Bay Area Council during this period is confusing at best. Between 1955 and 1957, Crescent Bay Council went through a dizzying group of district reorganizations based, in part, on a rapid population growth of Scout-aged kids within the Council boundaries after World War II
          In an effort to demystify all of the name changes and new boundaries, stationary was designed featuring the new Council maps
as they changed. Major map changes included these districts and communities:
  1. 1955-1956 - Santa Monica Bay • Venice • Westwood • Culver Palms • Beverly Hills • Malibu • Pacific Palisades
  2. 1956-1957 - Santa Monica Bay • Will Rogers • Venice • Westwood • Culver Palms • Beverly Hills
  3. 1957-           Santa Monica • Will Rogers • Venice • Westwood Hills • Golden Trails • Culver Palms • Beverly Hills
  4. 1958-1961 - Santa Monica • Will Rogers • Marina • Westwood Hills • Golden Trails • Culver Palms • Beverly Hills
          All that said, supplies of Red Map stationary seemed to be used during this period without any regard to which version of maps or officers it had on it. As evidenced by dated letters, Council staff used left over supplies of earlier versions through 1960-61, either until supplies finally ran out or the Council office moved to 11632 Palms Blvd. in West Los Angeles in 1962.
          The best explanation for the Council stationary used between 1955-1961 is that Council staff and volunteers used whatever was handy in their desk drawer.


1955-56
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Names Below on Left
 Malibu Pacific Palisades & Venice District on Map


 

         


(Restored stationary section)
The earliest version of the Red Map stationary from 1955 used
a map of the Council from 1954 when Sunset and Wilshire Districts were recombined into Santa Monica with a new name: Santa Monica Bay covering the entire western half the Council.
 This older map shows a north-south line that represents the Los Angeles City boundary between Malibu-Topanga and Pacific Palisades, the division of the old Sunset and Wilshire Districts. By 1956, new lines were drawn creating Santa Monica City as its own district and Will Rogers District as the rest.





1959-61
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Names at Top
MARINA DIST. on MAP
Jack Matthess & Allan Herrington - Vice Presidents
 
  1957-61
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Names Below on Left
VENICE, Will Rogers  DIST. on Map

 

           

OFFICERS NAMES at TOP OF PAGE
MARINA DIST. on map. Allen Harrington & Jack Matthess elected as vice presidents in January 1959.
Signed: Walt Kaufman, Westwood District Camping Chairman
 
OFFICERS NAMES UNDER MAP on left.
Letter dated June 24, 1960 but shows VENICE DIST. on map.
Venice changed name to MARINA in December, 1959.
Maurie Dahlem succeeded Clarance Boyle in October, 1957
Unsigned: for Alan D. Herrington; Jubilee Chairman  


 
1960-61
11632 Gateway Blvd., Los Angeles 64
Map Outline on Page Showing VENICE
Leroy Lattin & George Pardee Vice Presidents



Leroy Lattin & George Pardee Jr. show up as Treasurer and Vice President, respectively,
on masthead for the first time. Council records show these two Scouters were appointed
to their positionsin March, 1960. This stationary also marks the first time the Council map
was designed into the middle of the page but the chronology remains curious as the map
shows VENICE DISTRICT. One theory for the anomaly is this style stationary was ordered
using an old version of the map showing VENICE in error. The actual story remains a mystery.
Signed: Alan (Harrington)


7th Scout Headquarters
11350 Palms Blvd. West Los Angeles 66
1962 - 1972
 
          In what might have seemed like more bad luck for the Council, a route was chosen for the proposed Santa Monica Freeway (Interstate 10) that went right through the Pico neighborhood of West Los Angeles. While the location of the San Diego Freeway (Interstate 405), chosen in the mid 1950's, missed the Pico neighborhood to the east, the proposed Santa Monica Freeway interchange was a direct hit on Gateway Blvd. and the Council office. Emanate domain was invoked and the Scouts had to move. Once again, they found a vacant lot on Palms Blvd, also in West Los Angles, and they built their biggest, most beautiful and last Scout Headquarters by borrowing almost a half million dollars. Crescent Bay Council made the move to the new headquarters in January, 1962

Formal Letterhead
11350 Palms Blvd., Los Angeles 90066


           When the Council office moved to 11350 Palms Blvd. in West Los Angeles, new stationary was designed similar to a version used between 1960-1961. The masthead featured the Council officers and a map of the Council in the middle of the page. An informal design letterhead was also available, When Council officers and directors changed in succeeding years, new versions of the stationary were printed. This design was used  through 1972 when Crescent Bay merged with San Fernando Valley Council to form Great Western Council.
 
1970
TWO Phones: 391-5221 UP 0-7321
Donald W. Douglas Jr. - Honorary President
8 Vice Presidents
 
  1966
TWO Phones: 391-5221 UP 0-7321
Donald W. Douglas Jr. - President
11 Vice Presidents
 


Donald W. Douglas Jr .HONORARY President
Has Judge John Stuart Frazer but DOES NOT have  Irwin Goldring as Vice President.
 



           

Donald W. Douglas Jr .President
 

  
1969
Donald W. Douglas Jr. - Honorary President
7 Vice presidents
 


Donald W. Douglas Jr .HONORARY President

 


1971
Donald W. Douglas Jr. - Honorary President
9 Vice Presidents
 



Donald W. Douglas Jr .HONORARY President
 
Has Judge John Stuart Frazer AND Irwin Goldring as Vice Presidents. 
     


1963-72
Informal Letterhead
11350 Palms Blvd., Los Angeles 90066


Crescent Bay Area Council developed a secondary type of stationary which was use for letters and mass produced mailings.
The letterhead featured a scout wearing a neckerchief printed on a lower quality paper than the more formal stationary.
Five digit ZIP codes to 90066 were started by the post office in 1963. 
 
mid 1960's-late 60's
One Phone Number: 391-5221

 
 
1963-mid 60's
One Phone Number: EXmont 1-5221

 

           




1968-72
Two Phone Numbers: 391-5221  870-7321







 




 
 
 


back to top

jump to letter stationary from  >    1950's    1960's

  
Website Builder