Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX
Tamet Lodge Chapters - About  

About Tamet Lodge Chapters



From the History of Tamet Lodge
in the Area 12-A Program,  March 28-31, 1947,  p.4
  
          Tamet Lodge organized into chapters for the first time in the summer of 1946.
Prior to that summer, the Lodge was exclusively based at Camp Josepho in Rustic Canyon, Pacific Palisades. But with World War II over, Crescent Bay Council ambitiously decided to reopen Camps Emerald Bay on Catalina Island and Camp Wolverton at Sequoia National Park in the High Sierra. Since Order of the Arrow was popular amongst the staff and integrated into the summer camp program at Josepho, the OA was expanded into all of the Council summer camps, each having their own chapter of Tamet Lodge.


Summer Camping Promotional
Excerpt from Crescent Bay Council Brochure
Spring, 1946
 
     Area 12-A Conference
Program Excerpt  p.1
March 28-31, 1947
 
   


The challenge of election into the Order of the Arrow
was used as a motivational message to encourage
 attendance at summer camp.



Tamet Lodge proudly hosted the third
gathering of Order of the Arrow Lodges in
Southern California, Arizona & Nevada

 
          The names of local indigenous Native Americans were chosen for the Camp Chapters: Gabrieleno for Josepho; Pimu for Emerald Bay and Sequoyah for Wolverton. Unlike today where chapters represent the different districts of the Council, these first Tamet Lodge Chapters existed only at summer camp. Arrowman and inductees at summer camp were members in the Camp Chapter. Away from summer camp, each Arrowman was again a member of Tamet Lodge. This undoubtedly created some confusion right from the start. For example, in 1946, Tamet Lodge founder and first Chief Jack Davies, served on staff at both Camps Josepho and Wolverton. Presumably he was in Gabrieleno Chapter when he was at Josepho, then was in Sequoyah Chapter when he was at Wolverton and lastly was just in Tamet Lodge the rest of the time.

District Chapters 1949-57  

          Summer camping at Camp Josepho ended after the 1948 season as Crescent Bay Council shifted its efforts to Camps Emerald Bay and Wolverton. Josepho's closure for 1949 effectively meant the end of Gabrieleno Chapter. That fall, Tamet Lodge reorganized its bylaws which, among other things, ended the Camp Chapters and replaced them with three OA chapters created by combining pairs of Crescent Bay Councils' six districts. Arrowmen would now be members, all year-round, of the chapter for the district where their Scout unit was located, irrespective of the camp they attended or staffed. The three new chapters: Beverly Hills-Culver Palms; Sunset-Venice; and Westwood-Wilshire; created an organizational structure that replaced the previous three Camp Chapters with an arbitrary pairing of districts arranged alphabetically and not by geographic proximity.

          Two years later, the three District Chapters were split into six, one for each district at the time: Beverly Hills; Culver Palms; Sunset; Venice; Westwood and Wilshire. In 1954, Sunset and Wilshire Districts merged to become Santa Monica Bay District and for a short period of time, Tamet Lodge had five chapters. Santa Monica Bay split again in 1956, creating a new district named Will Rogers which included the communities of Malibu, Topanga and Pacific Palisades.


Native American Chapters 1957-72  

 
Excerpt from the 1957-58 Lodge Chief's Report

           In 1957, the Tamet Lodge Chief's Council approved renaming the District Chapters   with the names of Native American tribes. The idea started three years earlier when
Beverly Hills Chapter began calling itself "The Sioux" in 1954. Each of the District Chapters chose the name of a tribe meant to inspire their ritual teams in Indian costuming, ritual and dancing. The tribes selected were: Mohawk; Cherokee; Seminole; Iroquois and of course, Sioux.

          Also in 1957, Westwood District split into Westwood Hills and Golden Trails districts. The former officers and ritual team of Westwood Chapter became the new Golden Trails Chapter and the new Westwood Hills Chapter elected new officers and began creating its own ritual team. The names Comanche and Shoshone were chosen for the new chapters. None of the names adopted for the Tamet Chapters represented Native American tribes  indigenous to Southern California.

         Over the years, the success and activity of the various chapters went up and down although each of the chapters created their own distinct identity. In 1961, 
           




Excerpt from Tom-Tom, February 1955, p. 2
   
Seminole Chapter changed its name to Dakota because they preferred the costuming and dance of the Dakota Native Americans. Mohawk chapter changed its name to Sa'Anga in 1970 to honor the local Gabrielino Indians who inhabited the area now known as Marina, Playa Del Rey; Culver City and West Los Angeles. The Tamet Lodge chapters continued past the merger of Tamet and Walika Lodge in 1972. Through a series of district mergers during the 1970's and early1980's, the last of the original Tamet chapters ended in 1982 when all of the area formally known as Tamet Lodge became Heyoka Chapter of Malibu Lodge.

back to top
 
Chapter Organization Chart
 
Website Builder