Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX
Tamet Lodge - About  
jump to  >  Founding    Role in Council    Lodge History    About Chapters


About Tamet Lodge No. 225 - Order of the Arrow
Founded: August 5, 1942
Superseded by Malibu Lodge: 1972
Meaning of Name: Sun


          Order of the Arrow came to Crescent Bay Council in the summer of 1942. At its height, Tamet Lodge had over 450 members. The Order of the Arrow (OA) is the national honor society of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). It uses American Indian-styled traditions and ceremonies to bestow recognition on scouts selected by their peers as best exemplifying the ideals of Scouting. The society was created by E. Urner Goodman, with the assistance of Carroll A. Edson, in 1915 as a means of reinforcing the Scout Oath and the Scout Law. The goal was to establish these as lifelong guidelines, and to encourage continued participation in Scouting and camping. Influenced in part by camp traditions, and Indian folklore, the OA uses "safeguarded" symbols, handshakes, and ceremonies to impart a sense of community.

          Inducted members, known as Arrowmen or Brothers, number more than 180,000 youth and adults. They are organized into local youth-led lodges that harbor fellowship, promote camping, and render service to Boy Scout councils and their communities. Members wear identifying insignia on their uniforms, most notably the OA sash, and are eligible for special OA awards. The OA program sponsors several events, awards, and training functions.

Founding  


          Jack Davies along with nine other Camp Josepho staff "charter members" are credited with founding the local Order of the Arrow group in Crescent Bay Council. The Lodge was named Tamet, meaning "Sun"in the language of the Lenni Lanapi Deleware Indians. Crescent Bay was the 225th Boy Scout Council to be Chartered by the National Lodge of the Order.
          At the time of its founding, Camp Josepho was in the midst of its second season as a summer camp. The camp staff was a highly spirited group of exceptional scouts whose enthusiasm about Camp Josepho (already known as the "West Point of Scouting"), seemed to be a perfect fit with the principles and ideals of an honor camping society like the Order of the Arrow. Davies was originally from Chicago and had moved to Los Angeles in 1939 along with his parents. Apparently he had familiarity with the Order of the Arrow through his scouting experience at Camp Owasippi in the Chicago Council although it is unknown if he had been elected in to the OA while in Chicago.

          The OA was an immediate success at Camp Josepho and added a new dimension to the camping experience through the presentation of dramatic night-time Indian ceremonies held in front of a roaring campfire. In an era prior to television, the entertainment impact of these colorful productions on teenage boys can not be over estimated. The Order also served as a "special club" that campers aspired to join through their leadership qualities while in camp. 

1944
Camp Josepho Staff
 


At least 25 of the 30 staff men whose neckerchief slides are visible are wearing Tamet Lodge arrow slides
 

          By 1944, almost all of the Camp Josepho staff were members of Tamet Lodge and the Order of the Arrow was firmly entrenched as the organization of "top Scouts" in Crescent Bay Council. Military service during World War II depleted original Josepho staff members who were quickly replaced by the best of the new Arrowmen elected and inducted into Tamet Lodge during 1942-45. Through the generosity of Anatol Josepho, a large and impressive lodge building was constructed at Camp Josepho in 1941, complete with a full stage for ceremonial and theatrical productions. Above the stage was painted "Tamet Lodge" and soon the building and the Order of the Arrow were considered one and the same.
         

Role in the Council  
 
          With the end of the war, Tamet Lodge developed chapters at Camps Emerald Bay and Wolverton in 1946, carrying on the same traditions that had been established at Camp Josepho. During the 1950's, Tamet expanded the outreach of its most visible component,
the ritual team, to provide Indian ceremonies for Cub Scout packs and at Eagle Court of Honors. During the early 1950's, Tamet Lodge became involved with Junior Leader Training. They also developed a special Troop camping award to promote camping within the Council. In 1955, the OA was invited to create an Indian village at the annual Scout-O-Rama which proved so popular among the public and young scouts that it continued annually through the merger of the Council in 1972. The OA continued to take an active role in camp promotion culminating with the publication of a comprehensive Where-to-Go Camping book in 1972.
Between 1942-72, the Order of the Arrow in Crescent Bay provided countless hours of service to the Council, its camps and programs while providing an organization that fostered continued interest in scouting among the senior Scouts on the west side of Los Angeles.

 
back to top

jump to  >  Founding    Lodge History    About Chapters

 
Website Builder