Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Tamet Lodge - Neckerchiefs 

jump to Tamet Lodge  >  area conference neckerchiefs    suns & area patches    flap patches    neckerchief slides

          Order of the Arrow neckerchiefs in California date back to the early 1940's. Canalino Lodge 90 from Santa Barbara, designed a special neckerchief for its members that was half white and half red, upon which was sewn their lodge totem, a navy blue arrowhead. In 1945, Canalino Lodge organized the first regional OA meeting on the west coast, called a fellowship conference. At various times, it was also known as the Canalino Lodge Sundance, Area U Conference, Section A Conference and later, the Area 12 A Conference . The gathering included Order of the Arrow Lodges from Councils throughout California, Nevada and Arizona. Many things were agreed upon by the Lodges in attendance including the adoption of the Canalino Lodge white and red neckerchief as the official neckerchief for all lodges in Area U.
          Tamet Lodge issued its first neckerchief two years later in conjunction with hosting the third annual Area U - Section A OA Fellowship Conference in 1947. The distinctive neckerchief included Tamet Lodge's totem, a twelve pointed sun, and was meant to be worn by OA members while participating in OA functions and events. Tamet Lodge's original insignia, a red arrow neckerchief slide, was also typically used with the white & red neckerchief. Excepting for manufacturing differences over time, the basic design of the Tamet Lodge neckerchief remained unchanged for the next twenty-five years until Tamet Lodge merged with Walika Lodge from San Fernando Valley Council in 1972.              

 
Silk Neckerchiefs

1947-56
3 inch Sateen Sun
 

1957-60
3¼ inch Sateen Sun
 


 

White & red SILK with 3 inch sateen sun.
see varieties of this patch in the IDENTIFICATION GUIDE

White & red SILK with 3¼ inch sateen sun.
see varieties of this patch in the IDENTIFICATION GUIDE





                                   

1961-62
Orange Sun with Yellow Cut Edge
 

 


 


 

 

White & red SILK with cut edge twill sun.




 
Cotton Neckerchiefs
 
1962
Red & White (Reverse Colors)
  Dark Yellow Sun with Dark Yellow Rolled Edge

 
  1963-64
White & Red
  Dark Yellow Sun with Dark Yellow Rolled Edge
 
 

RED & WHITE COTTON with rolled edge twill sun.
Border of sun is same color as twill. 1962 marked the first year that Tamet Lodge neckerchiefs were issued on cotton. The first order of cotton neckerchiefs were issued with reverse colors, red being on the right and white on the left.
 
WHITE & RED COTTON with rolled edge twill sun.
Border of sun is same color as twill. The lodge by-laws specified that white was to be on the left of the neckerchief with the right half being red. The next order of cotton neckerchiefs corrected the mistake.





1965-71
Orange Sun with Yellow Rolled Edge
 

1972
With Arrowhead
 




      



White & red COTTON with rolled edge twill sun.
Border of sun is yellow and twill is orange. Although there was no restriction on the number of neckerchiefs that could be purchased by members, rarely did anyone purchase more than one. Because the design had been around for such a long time and the patch was so simple, without any identifying writing, the Tamet neckerchief was not a popular item for trading.
see varieties of this patch in the IDENTIFICATION GUIDE


White & red COTTON with rolled edge twill sun, and arrowhead.
Tamet Lodge had a large supply of the 1965-71 neckerchiefs at the time of the impending merger with Walika Lodge in 1972. In an effort to promote sales of the remaining neckerchiefs, the Lodge authorized adding a new patch underneath the sun in hopes that members would purchase the remaining neckerchief inventory before the merger. Arrowhead patches were sewn to neckerchiefs having both varieties of the 1965-71 sun patch.
  see the IDENTIFICATION GUIDE


 
back to top
 
Area Conference Neckerchiefs 
 
          The regional organization of the southern California OA lodges changed over the years. Tamet Lodge started as a member of Area U in 1945. The nomenclature changed to Area U-Section A in 1947; Area 12 A in 1949; and Area 12 E in 1956. Tamet Lodge hosted Area Conferences in 1947, 1952, 1956, 1963 & 1970, and issued neckerchiefs in 1947,1963 & 1970.
 

           
1947
Camp Josepho
March 28-31
         
1963
Loyola Marymount College
  April 19-21
 





                





Silk or sateen with a white marrowed border. The exact purpose of this neckerchief is unknown.
Silk screened on cotton with hemmed border.
 





1970
Pacific Missile Range, Point Mugu, California
  April 3-5
 



1970
Participants
 

1970
Officers & Advisers
 





    





Silk screened on cotton with PURPLE piped border.
Designed by Jeff Morley

Silk screened on cotton with BLACK piped border.
For officers and advisers from participating Lodges.







1970
Indian Competition Winners
 










Silk screened on cotton with RED piped border.
Awarded to first place winners in Indian competitions.




back to top

jump to Tamet Lodge  >   suns & area patches     flap patches    neckerchief slides
 
  
Website Builder