Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Tamet Lodge - Chiefs  

jump to Lodge Chiefs from  >  1940's     1950's     1960's    1970's    Camp Josepho Team Plaque    About the Chiefs wall

           The position of Lodge Chief in the Order of the Arrow was the highest elected youth position in Crescent Bay Area Council. Tamet Lodge No. 225, was founded in the summer of 1942 by Jack Davies, Director of Camp Josepho. There were ten original charter members, nine of which are documented today.

Charter members of Tamet Lodge

Jack Davies; John Ehrlichman; Dick Rice; Alden Barber, Ralph Randell; Jack Stufflebeam;
George Saunders; Fernando Steere;
and Tad Procello from Pasadena (San Gabriel Valley Council).
The tenth charter member is believed to be F.R. "Uncle Bob" Hill, Crescent Bay Scout Executive.

           World War II took its toll on the Order of the Arrow in Crescent Bay Council. There were six different Lodge Chiefs in the first three years as scouts enlisted or were drafted into military service. Staff members at Camp Josepho, stepped up to fill the vacancies.
            Circa 1945, a large wooden plaque crafted to look like a tree section was created around an arrowhead painted by artist Juan Acevedo.  It is believed the plaque was meant to display a record of the Chiefs of Tamet Lodge, all of whom were prominent staff members of Camp Josepho. The plaque was aptly titled: 
"Camp Josepho Team".

          see more about the

   Camp Josepho Team Plaque


From 1945 through 1972, the Camp Josepho Team plaque was mounted above the large stone fireplace in the lodge. It can still be seen there today.


 
Tamet Lodge Chiefs 1942-72

NOTE: Beginning in 1945, the Lodges from other councils in Southern California elected a chief
for the entire Section or Area. Tamet members serving in that capacity are marked in RED.


1942 
1st LODGE CHIEF
 
Area U-Section A-Chief 1946-47
 

1943 & 1946-47
2nd
LODGE CHIEF
 

 

1943
3rd LODGE CHIEF
 
 





Jack Davies


John Ehrlichman


Richard Rice


 
 
1943
 
4th LODGE CHIEF
 

   
1944
5th LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1944-45
6th LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1945
7th LODGE CHIEF
 





Jerry Saunders


Dick Iseminger


Tom Canady


Alvin Wiese


NOTE: Tamet Lodge split into three chapters in 1946, one at each of the Council's camps.
Each camp had its own OA Chief.
John Ehrlichman returned to become the Chief of the three Chapters for 1946.

see more  >  about John Ehrlichman's second term as Chief
  
 
1946-47
8th LODGE CHIEF

 

1947-48
9th LODGE CHIEF

 

1948-49
10th LODGE CHIEF
 
 

1949-50 
11th LODGE CHIEF
Area 12-A Chief 1950-51
 









John Ehrlichman
NOTE: only Tamet Lodge member to serve as Lodge Chief twice.


Arthur Slinde
 


Joel Stearns
 


Loren Tarvin
 


back to top
 
1950-51
12th LODGE CHIEF

   
1951-52
13th LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1952-53
14th LODGE CHIEF
 

   
1953-54
15th LODGE CHIEF
 








Calvin Wheelock


Jack Halloran


Bill Douglas


Gordon Watson


  
1954-55
16th LODGE CHIEF
 

1955-56
17th LODGE CHIEF
 

1956-57
18th LODGE CHIEF
 








Howard Harrison


Paul Jordan


Doug Parsons


back to top
 
1957-58
19th LODGE CHIEF
Area 12-E Chief 1959-60
 
   
1958-59
20th LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1959-60 
21st LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1960-61
22nd LODGE CHIEF
 








Carroll Hood Jr.


Charles Morgan


Pete Haslund


Pete Gordon

 
1961-62
 23rd
LODGE CHIEF
 

1962
 24th
LODGE CHIEF
 

1963
25th LODGE CHIEF
 








Marc Medoff


Ron Miller


Terry Grimm

 
back to top

1963
26th LODGE CHIEF

 
   
1963-64
27th LODGE CHIEF

 
   
1964-65
28th LODGE CHIEF
Area 12-E Chief 1963-64
 
   
1965-66  
29th CHIEF

Area 12-E Chief 1965-66
 







Andy Zimbaldi
Joe Beste
Paul Doose Jr.

Keith Bair
NOTE: only Tamet Lodge member   to serve as Area Chief and not   Lodge Chief.

 
 
1965-66
30th LODGE CHIEF
 
 
1966-67
31st LODGE CHIEF
 

1967
32nd LODGE CHIEF
 






Art Brice Jr.


Frank Sanford


Jim Rubert

back to top
 
1967
  33rd
LODGE CHIEF
 
   
1967-68
34th LODGE CHIEF
Area 12-E Chief 1969-70
   
1968-69
35th LODGE CHIEF
 
   
 
1969-70
36th LODGE CHIEF
 
 








Mark Robbins


Tom Conrad


Barney Mann

Contact with better image
Jeff Cohen


 
1970
37th LODGE CHIEF
 

1970-71
38th LODGE CHIEF
 

1971-72
39th LODGE CHIEF
 








Bob Brownstein

Contact with  better image
Guy Sanford


Jeff Morley



back to top

About the Camp Josepho Team Plaque  

           The Camp Josepho Team plaque was constructed circa 1945, around a wooden arrowhead painted by Juan Acevedo, a local Southern California artist. It is unclear who ordered the plaque or the circumstances by which the painted arrowhead came into the possession of the Camp Josepho staff. Inspiration for the mountain and tree design of the arrowhead is also unknown but it does not appear to be a scene from Camp Josepho. Juan Acevedo is known to have done artwork for Los Angeles radio station KFI during World War II. The scene on the arrowhead has many similarities to the KFI Sierra Patrol patch awarded to Crescent Bay and Los Angeles Area Scouts in the mid 1940's and it is possible that Acevedo designed the Sierra Patrol logo while working for KFI.

          The red arrow across the top was not only the universal symbol for the Order of the Arrow but may also have been the Tamet Lodge totem in the first few years.  Photos of Tamet Arrowmen show them wearing the red arrow neckerchief slide and during World War II, that was the insignia of Tamet Lodge. Early written documentation from the 1943-44 period makes no reference to any totem other than the red arrow and there is no documented evidence of the familiar yellow sun with twelve orange or red points appearing prior to 1947.


Close-Up of Camp Josepho Team Plaque with Name Plates



           The plaque was designed to list the Chiefs of Tamet Lodge. "'Camp Josepho Team" referred to the staff of Camp Josepho and since the staff was made up almost entirely of Tamet Lodge members by 1943, the Chief was also the elected leader of the staff. At the time the Lodge was founded in 1942, Camp Josepho was the only summer camp operated by Crescent Bay Council. Selection to the Josepho staff was a prestigious appointment and an acknowledgment as being one of the top scouts in the Council. After World War II, the Council re-opened Camps Emerald Bay and Wolverton for summer camping. As the Order of the Arrow spread to these camps in 1946, the focus on Camp Josepho staff was diluted. Summer camping at Josepho was discontinued after the 1948 season. However, the camp was always considered the "seat" of Tamet Lodge and the Order of the Arrow in Crescent Bay Area Council. The Lodge building at Camp Josepho and Tamet Lodge were considered one and the same.

The Chiefs' Name Plates
 
          The original plaque was fitted with thirty-eight wooden name plates, even though there was room for ten to twenty more. Five of the first six Lodge Chief name plates were written in the same handwriting and it is believed they were signed by the artist when the plaque was constructed in 1945. It is also remembered that the name plate for the second Chief, John Ehrlichman, was fabricated in the same fashion. However, sometime in the mid 1970's after Tamet and Walika Lodges merged to form Malibu Lodge in 1972, Chief Ehrlichman's photo and plaques disappeared from the lodge. The Ehrlichman name plate on the Camp Josepho Team plaque is a substitute and his name is misspelled as Ehrilichman, a misspelling that first appeared in Tamet Lodge records around 1960.
          The name plate in the 1945 position has been missing from the plaque for as long as anyone can remember and the name plates in the 1946 and 1950 positions are blank. The reasons  are unknown. It is possible that the 1945 name plate was left off at the time the plaque was constructed in 1945 so that the Chief elected for 1945, Alvin Weise, could sign it himself and then affix it to the plaque. One theory is the 1945 name plate never made it back to the plaque.
 
1946-1963

          A sixty-six year old mystery regarding the blank name plate in the 1946 position has finally been resolved. That year  the Order of the Arrow in Crescent Bay Council was exported to Camps Emerald Bay and Wolverton. Camp Josepho staff men returning from the previous year and WorldWar II were spread amongst all three camps in 1946 and the annual tradition of selecting a new Lodge Chief at summer camp was replaced by selecting separate Camp Chiefs at Josepho, Emerald Bay and Wolverton.  
          With OA programs or chapters going on at multiple camps, each with the leaders of their respective staffs as Chief, the role of a separate Chief for Tamet Lodge did not immediately have a purpose. This led to speculation that the Lodge did not have a Chief in 1946. 
          New evidence (excerpts shown here to the left and right) surfaced in November 2012, documenting that Tamet Lodge's second Chief, John Ehrlichman, had returned for a second term as Lodge Chief in 1946. Ehrlichman had originally served as Chief for a few months before he enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1943. After returning home from Europe late in 1945, (having been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross as a B-17 navigator with 26 missions over Germany), he resumed his activities in Scouting and the Order of the Arrow becoming the only Chief in Tamet Lodge's history to serve two separate times. However, it remains unclear if there were elections in 1946 or if Ehrlichman was appointed to serve as the Chief of the three chapters. By the following year, Tamet Lodge had fully adopted the custom of electing a Lodge Chief every year.
          The signatures on the name plates resume with Chiefs Slinde, Stearns and Tarvin in 1947-49, all appearing to have been written by the same hand. The name plate for 1950 when Calvin Wheelock was elected Chief was also left blank for reasons unknown today. Signed name plates begin again in 1951 and end with Chief Zimbaldi in 1963, leaving thirteen more of the original thirty-eight name plates empty. Signatures for this later group have an individualized appearance, presumably being the autograph of each Lodge Chief. Ron Miller, elected Chief  in 1962, left mid-term to attend college and his position was filled by Terry Grimm. This may account for Chief Miller's name being absent from the Camp Josepho Team Plaque.
          The Camp Josepho Team tradition ended as interest in maintaining Tamet Lodge's history declined in the mid 1960's. However, the Lodge Chief's Plaque remained mounted above the mantle on the great fireplace in the Lodge, serving as a visual reminder to all scouts and Arrowmen of a bygone era in Camp Josepho and Crescent Bay Area Council. To this day, no one can explain the remarkable coincidence of exactly thirty-eight name plates originally applied to the Camp Josepho Team Plaque in 1945 and the fact that Tamet Lodge had exactly thirty-eight Chiefs when it merged out of existence twenty-seven years later in 1972. The Camp Josepho Team Plaque was taken down from the fireplace sometime after 1973 and returned to its original location in July 2011 by the Crescent Bay Council Historical Project.

UPDATE: Five additional Chief signatures were added to the plaque at the
Vigil Honor Reunion, Camp Josepho, March 2012.

 
About the Chiefs Photos at Camp Josepho
     
Letter - Call for Past Chiefs Photos
December 8, 1955





      
          In December 1955, Lodge Chief Paul Jordan sent a letter to all known past Chiefs of Tamet Lodge requesting a 5 x 7 photo for use in a memorial to past officers at Camp Josepho. Tamet Lodge and Camp Josepho had been chosen to host the first Fellowship Conference of the new Area 12-E and and an effort was underway to spruce up the Camp and "Arrow-ize" the Lodge.
          A wall was chosen in the northwest stairway room and framed pictures of the known Chiefs were mounted in anticipation of the Area Conference scheduled for April 1956. The picture wall, in what soon became known as "The Chiefs Room", was continually updated with new Tamet Lodge Chiefs through 1966 where it stayed, stuck in time, until 2011.
           Then, through the efforts of the Crescent Bay Historical Project, photos of unknown and missing Chiefs were located, framed and mounted on the wall along with their fellow Chiefs.  The final missing picture of 1967 Chief Mark Robbins was procured in September of 2013, finishing  a project that took over  fifty-eight years to complete.
                
see   >  the restoration of the Chiefs Wall


back to top


jump to Lodge Chiefs from  >  1940's     1950's     1960's    1970's

 
Website Builder