Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Tamet Lodge - History - 1942: the Founding  

jump to  >  Tribe of Temescal    Founding-1942    Charter Members & Totem   1942 Members    1942 Officers    Activities 1942    
Tamet Lodge History  >  1943-49    1950's    1960's    1970-72

Leading Up to the Formation of Tamet Lodge
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  tamet lodge malibu
          Honor Camper societies go back to the beginning of the Boy Scouts. The Order of the Arrow was one such society, founded in 1915 by E. Urner Goodman and Carol A. Edson at Camp Treasure Island of the Philadelphia Council. During the 1920's, honor camper organizations sprung up in Boy Scout Councils across the Country with names like Gimogash, Firecrafters, Micosay and Wimachtendink W.W. (the original name of the OA). Many Councils developed societies named after their Scout camps like Tribe of Nawakwa and Tribe of Tahquitz.
          During the 1920's, some of the more popular and organized honor camper societies spread to the camps of other councils. The Order of the Arrow emerged as the most popular  during the 1930's, helped in part by the strength of its program and E. Urner Goodman's leadership position within the Boy Scouts. Among his many accomplishments, Goodman
became Director of Program for the BSA and started the Cub Scout program in 1934.
           Crescent Bay Council had two honor  societies prior to the Order of the Arrow's introduction in 1942. Both involved Native American themes but neither was an honor camper society.

 
Tribe of Pequawket

Founded: 1923
Disbanded: After 1926

          Tribe of Pequawket  was organized in Crescent Bay District Council on November 10, 1923, as a special troop composed of only "merit badge" scouts. A merit badge scout was an older scout who had earned merit badges and was of the rank of Star Scout or higher. Tribe Pequawket LodgeTribe of Pequawket Lodge
By today's standards, such a troop seems somewhat strange but in 1923, there had yet to be an Eagle Rank awarded within the Council and there were no programs available for older Scouts.
          The idea is said to have been originated by Donald Monroe, Crescent Bay's first scout executive. Monroe was a very innovative scouting professional and creation of the merit badge troop was one of several experiments initiated within the Council in the early 1920's. Like the Order of the Arrow, the merit badge troop was to be based on American Indian lore. But unlike the O.A., membership in the merit badge troop had nothing to do with camping or summer camps. 
          The original members of the merit badge troop were some of Crescent Bay's top scouts at the time including: Bernarr Bates, Russell Robinson, Roland Busch, "Pill" Powley, Mart Buschnell, Henry Tsuritani, Alfred Miller, "Happy" Mauler and David Strauss. Among the first order of business for the new troop was to select an Indian name. For that purpose, the troop sought the help of Chief (Luther) Standing Bear, a graduate of the Carlisle Indian School, who resided in Venice, CA. It is not known how the name was ultimately decided upon but according to Barker Bates, Bernaar's brother, Donald Monroe selected Pequawket, an obscure tribe from Tribe Pequawket LodgeNew Hampshire, because "that would be the squawk from an eagle when you plucked a feather from its tail".
          For the next two years, the Tribe of Pequawket (or Pequawket Lodge as it came to be known) held social functions, spirited initiations and provided some staff for the annual summer camps. Many of the troop meetings were held as "over nighters" at Camp Slauson in Topanga Glen, where they had been assigned a half acre home stake to build a cabin or tepee, like all of the other troops in Crescent Bay Council. In 1926, the Tribe, set out to help Crescent Bay Council organize a youth division for boys 8 to 12 years old called the Boy Rangers, a precursor to the Cub Scouts. No information about Pequawket exits after 1926 and the group is thought to have disbanded around that time.

 
Tribe of Temescal  

Founded: Mid 1930's
Disbanded: After 1941


         The Tribe of Temescal was a secret fraternity for Scoutmasters during the 1930's who had earned their five-year training course key. Little is known about meetings and activities    
of the Tribe but it has been recently discovered that Native American regalia and ceremonies   were included as part of their program and that is where any similarity to the Order of the Arrow ends. Tribe of Temescal started in Crescent Bay Council  in late 1934. 
There is no record of the Tribe after 1941.


Oath & Application - Tribe of Temescal
circa 1936



 
Tribe of Temescal
June 1941-C
amp Josepho Dedication
 
     Tribe Leaders in Indian Bonnets
Opening Ceremony
June 7, 1941

 
   Excerpt from News Article
Santa
Monica Evening Outlook
June 6, 1941

 
   
               
   
   
Back row L-R: 1st scouter in bonnet unknown;  Mayo Wright;  Milton Mackey Jr.-Camporal Director; & actor Leo Carillo.
 
 
News article outlining complete
Camp Josepho Dedication schedule and program.
see  >  entire Camp Josepho Dedication article

   

 
First Interest in the Order of the Arrow

          As late as 1935, Order of the Arrow had grown to over 80 local Lodges in the eastern, central and southern parts of the country but had not reached any Councils in California or the western United States. However, that year, several California Councils made inquires to the National Tribe of the OA about the Order of the Arrow. One of those inquiries came from F.R. Hill, Scout Executive of Crescent Bay Council, Santa Monica.

Excerpts from National Tribe Bulletin
December, 1935, p. 1&3
(copy)  





          Apparently there was minimal interest for Order of the Arrow within the Council or at Camp Emerald Bay in 1935 and the idea was seemingly forgotten for another seven years. Whether or not the Tribe of Temescal played a part in keeping the OA out of Crescent Bay Council during the 1930's remains unknown. In the meantime, Order of the Arrow did come West, first to Santa Barbara Council in 1936, Pomona & Visalia, California Councils in 1937; Douglas, Arizona in 1940 and Palo Alto, California in 1941.

The Founding: 1940-42   

          Summer camping in Crescent Bay Council changed dramatically at the beginning of the 1940's. In 1940, Anatol Josepho stepped forward as one of the Council's most significant benefactors. He donated 110 acres in Rustic Canyon, six miles north of Santa Monica, for a permanent summer camp for the Boy Scouts. Included was the construction of a magnificent lodge building big enough to feed 500 people and hold theatrical productions on a large stage. A huge swimming pool was built along with stables, handicraft lodge, rifle & archery ranges and grand parade grounds. Camp Josepho opened in 1941 and was soon dubbed: "The West Point of Scouting". The camp was administered jointly by Crescent Bay and Los Angeles Councils although the Scouts from Los Angeles were already operating  multiple camps and only took a minor role in staffing the new camp in Rustic Canyon. 
         1940 also marked the beginning of a plan to shift Council summer camping away from Camp Emerald Bay. Most of the Emerald Bay staff was transferred to the Council's new High Sierra Camp in Sequoia National Park. When Camp Josepho opened in 1941, the best of the Crescent Bay staff members did double duty at Josepho and High Sierra Camp. The outbreak of World War II brought gas and travel restrictions and meant the closure of camps Emerald Bay and High Sierra. Camp Josepho became the only Crescent Bay Council summer camp for 1942 and remained as such through 1945.
Jack Davies Tamet Lodge
          One of the returning staff members was Jack Davies, an eighteen year old scout from Beverly Hills who had transferred to Crescent Bay Council when his family moved from Chicago. As a young scout, Jack had familiarity with the Order of the Arrow from his experiences at Owasippi Scout Camps. However, it is not known if he was already an Arrowman, or had been elected into the OA while he lived in Chicago. Over the course of the summer of 1942, Jack and eight of his fellow staff, approached Scout Executive F.R. "Uncle Bob" Hill to form an Order of the Arrow Lodge at Camp Josepho. Five years later, he dictated a brief history of Tamet Lodge which was later printed in the 1947 Area A, Section U Fellowship Conference program booklet hosted by Tamet Lodge at Camp Josepho. This transcript survives as the only accounting of the beginning of Tamet Lodge from its founder.

    

 
                Founding of Tamet Lodge
In the Words of Jack Davies
1947
 
 
 Original Transcript
Founding of Tamet Lodge History
1947

 
 
 
 
   "TAMET LODGE
The Past is Prologue......

          The Tamet Lodge had a small beginning. In 1942 it was. A group of staff men at Camp Josepho were relaxing one evening....just a regular bull session. Someone mentioned how easily some leaders adapted themselves to the rough task of guiding Scout Campers correctly and how hard it was for others. Then one of the gang asked Why? Wasn't there some basic formula that made the job easy and natural for some?

          Any Arrow man knows the answer to this question.It is embodied in our ideals of Brotherhood, Cheerfulness and Service. In that staff bull session, Jack Davies, now Josepho's camp director, recalled for his brother staff men experiences with the Arrow in Owassippi (sp) Scout Camp in Michigan... recalled how those brothers in cheerful service made a Scout's happiness their personal obligation. The spark caught in the hearts of those who heard Jack, and Tamet Lodge was born.

          During that first summer of Arrow activity, the spark was fanned to flame within those 10 charter members...and that flame became an enthusiasm for leadership which spread like a prairie wildfire to older scouts in the council. The Tamet Lodge laid early stress on teaching and encouraging its members and its campers to REALLY live in their daily lives the Scout Oath and Law.

          Enthusiasm multiplied into a strong membership until in 1946 Tamet Lodge reached out to three camps instead of one. Now we have Gabrielino chapter at Camp Josepho, the Sequoyah chapter at Camp Wolverton in the Sierra and the Pimu chapter at Camp Emerald Bay on Catalina.

          Greater achievements in leadership through cheerful service are yet to be written...."
              
 




Page 2


 
 
 
   
 
 
 
 


Charter Members & Totem  

         The 10 charter members of Tamet Lodge were:  Jack Davies; John Ehrlichman; Dick Rice; Alden Barber, Ralph Randell; Jack Stufflebeam; George Saunders; Fernando Steere; and Tad Procello from Pasadena (San Gabriel Valley Council). The 10th  charter member is believed to be Scout Executive F.R. "Uncle Bob" Hill.

 
          Tamet, meaning sun in the language of the Lenni Lanapi Delaware Indians, was officially chartered by the National Lodge of the Order of the Arrow on August 5, 1942 as the 225th Lodge. It is not known who chose the name or who designed the Lodge totem.
          The earliest known rendition of the Tamet sun totem dates to 1943. A circular sun with eight rays or points extending outside of its perimeter was depicted on a copper arrowhead plaque embedded into a large tree at Camp Josepho. The tree once stood on the hill going up to the lodge from the parade grounds where the Ranger's Cabin is located today.
          Evidence suggests that in the first few years, multiple symbols including the Scout Sign, a torch and a thunder bird were also included as parts of the Tamet Lodge totem. However, despite this collection of symbols and totems, the earliest insignia for the lodge was a simple red arrow, carved from a piece of wood and worn as a neckerchief slide. Based upon how Tamet Lodge members presented themselves, there is a plausible argument that in the early years, the totem, symbol, identification or whatever one chooses to call it, was the red arrow.
 
  Carved Tamet Slide
Made by Proctor Weir circa 1945
 
    Red Arrow Slide
Summer, 1942
 
   
                                    
  NOTE the multiple symbols of Tamet Lodge including the Scout Sign, torch and thunder bird. The Tamet Sun has 13 points.
"CJ" monogram at the bottom of the slide stands for Camp Josepho.
(courtesy of Pierce Weir)
   
Tamet Arrow man and future Lodge Chief, Dick Iseminger, is seen wearing his red arrow slide in the 1942 Camp Josepho staff photo.
   
         
          Only a few depictions exist of the Tamet sun prior to 1947, each having varying numbers of points.  The familiar twelve pointed sun first appearsed as a patch on a red and white neckerchief when Tamet Lodge hosted the 1947 Area U, Section A,  meeting at Camp Josepho. Each part of the 1947 totem had symbolism and meaning. 

(see more Tamet insignia and arrows)
  
Excerpt from Tamet Lodge Bylaws - 1951
Article I, Section 2


 

Members Inducted in 1942  

           In total, there were 64 Scouts and Scouters inducted into Tamet Lodge in the summer of 1942, nine of whom would ultimately serve as Lodge Chief. A near complete list of all of the 1942 members has been recorded for posterity on the walls of  the lodge building at Camp Josepho. Wooden plaquesAlden Barber were fabricated by handicraft director "Pop" Pudney and then signed by the OA members.
          Most, but not all, of the 1942 plaques appear to be signed by the same hand, suggesting the Tamet lodge plaques at Camp Josepho originated in 1943-44 and the 1942 plaques were created retroactively.
          Since staff, and campers also included Scouts and units from Los Angeles Council, some of the original members of Tamet Lodge were not from Crescent Bay. It wasn't until 1944 that L.A. Council got its own OA Lodge: Siwinis Lodge No. 252.
          The original members were:
       
Don Adams
Albert Aked
Alden Barber
Lloyd Baumen
Bob Bechstrom
Carleton Bingham
Bert Button
Tom Canady
Dick Carncross
Reg. Cochrane
Bill Dawson
Jack Davies
Tom Derby
Bill Douglas
Elmer Douglas
Tommy Eader

 
 
John Erhlichman
John Gibson
Buddy Hagen
Clyde Harms
M. Clyde Harris
Andrew Harry
Carl Helms
Frank Hendler
Owen Herrin
Al Hersh
"Uncle Bob" Hill
Phil Hintz
Dick Iseminger
Don Iseminger
Bert Jacobsen
Robert Jarrick

 
 
Anatol M. Josepho
John Kearney
Norman Kettering
Henry Kirby
Clinton Kirk
Paul Levine
Dick Loquvam
Albert McCluney
C. L. McCluney
Franklin Miller
"Skipper" Al Miller
Oliver Mitchell
Bennett Pascal
Tad Procello
Frank "Pop" Pudney
Ralph Randall

 
 
Bob Reed
Dick Rice
Jack Salling
George Saunders
Jerry Saunders
Wayne Sayer
Roms Shipplee
Arthur "Bud" Slinde
Fernando Steere
Jack Stufflebeam
Stanley Winston
Arthur Talbert
Loren Tarvin
John Templeton
Martin Weinstein
Jack Willson

Note: Names in Blue served as Lodge Chiefs. Alden Barber went on to become Chief Scout Executive of the B.S.A.



 
Original Tamet Lodge Officers - The First Year  

           It is presumed that Tamet Lodge elected its first officers at camp during the summer of 1942. However, it is also possible that elections were held after Camp Josepho had closed for the summer. The following founding members were elected to serve until the Lodge reconvened for the 1943 camping season:
Chief - Jack Davies
Secretary-Scribe - John Erhlichman
Treasurer - Jack Stufflebeam
Medicine Man - Alden Barber


           In the first few years, there was no position of Vice Chief, Deputy Chief or Ritual Chief.
Jack Davies was called to military duty late in in 1942. John Erhlichman took over as Lodge Chief and Dick Rice filled the secretary-scribe vacancy.  When John Erhlichman was later called to service in early 1943, he was replaced by Dick Rice as Lodge Chief.  Lodge treasurer, Jack Stufflebeam was reported to be in the Navy at the beginning of 1943 but it is unclear if anyone was appointed to fill his position.
          Al McCluney's signature appears on some of the OA membership cards during the first year suggesting he may have been appointed as Lodge secretary-scribe to fill the vacancy created when Dick Rice became Lodge Chief. At some point in the first year, Dick Carncross was appointed to prepare a Lodge newsletter but it does not appear that he was able to publish one during the first year.



Lodge Activities in 1942  

           No records chronicling the activities of Tamet Lodge in 1942 exist today. There were likely multiple Arrow meetings and gatherings during the summer Camp at Josepho. Unit elections, rituals and ceremonies were conducted during the multiple camping sessions and the Lodge grew to a membership of over sixty within two months. Once camp was over, the Arrowmen wanted to get together in the off season to keep the camaraderie of the new organization alive. A Tamet Lodge newsletter dated February, 1943, makes reference to a previous Arrow meeting held in the fall of 1942, but no details are available.
          Despite multiple changes in leadership during the first year created by war-time service, interest in the Order of the Arrow within Crescent Bay Council grew during the fall of 1942 and by the following summer, Tamet Lodge members were not only staffing Camp Josepho, but effectively were in charge of running the Council's entire summer camping program.

back to top

jump to  >  Founding-1942    Charter Members & Totem   1942 Members    1942 Officers    Activities 1942    
Tamet Lodge History  >  1943-49    1950's    1960's    1970-72


 
Website Builder