Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX
Emerald Bay - Camper Neckerchiefs 1920's-1972  
jump to Emerald Bay neckerchiefs on other pages  >  camper 1973-present   staff 1920's-1986   staff 1987-present    Rugged E
  
           Neckerchiefs used for camping at Emerald Bay date back to the earliest years at camp. Today, scouts attend summer camp with their troops but In the early days, it was more common to sign up for camp as individuals. Once at Emerald Bay, scouts were assembled into provisional summer camping troops and camp neckerchiefs in camp colors were used as identification. Campers meeting the requirements for "Good Camper"  could wear their Good Camper patch on the neckerchief or merit badge sash.
          By the mid 1930's, attendance at summer camp was predominately done on a troop basis. Provisional camp troop neckerchiefs were no longer necessary since campers wore their regular troop neckerchiefs during their week at Emerald Bay.
          During the 1950's, souvenir camp neckerchiefs gained in popularity and were available for purchase by any and all who came to camp. Neckerchiefs were used at Emerald Bay into the 1990's when the neckerchief was no longer required as part of the official scout uniform. However, staff at Emerald Bay have continued the tradition of wearing neckerchiefs into the present day.

1927
Camper
 
  1927
with Good Camper Patch
 
 
Purple and Yellow cotton. Full Square.
Earned in 1927 by Eagle Scout, Frank Watson,
Troop 8, Venice, California.

 
  Purple and Yellow cotton. Full Square.
Emerald Bay neckerchief with 1927 Good Camper patch &
Troop 1, Santa Monica, California community troop numeral.
(Appears that a 1932 Emerald Bay Good Camper patch
was sewn on left side opposite the troop numeral at one time.)



1929
with Good Camper Patch

 
  1930
with Good Camper Patch

 
Red cotton. Full square.
Recent discoveries document that the 1929 Crescent Bay
Good Camper patch was also awarded to Good Campers at
High Sierra Camp in Sequoia during 1929.
  Dyed cotton. National issue full square.
It is believed that troops would sew their troop numeral to the 1930 Pirate patch when they attended Camp Emerald Bay as
a troop. Troop 51 was from Beverly Hills, CA


It is not known if Camp Emerald Bay issued camper neckerchiefs between the early 1930's and mid 1950's.
 
            Origins of the Camp Mascots
  1956
 
       The 1956 neckerchiefs for Camp Emerald Bay sported the camp mascot: a pirate with a sword in his mouth. The "Crazy Pirate" design was first used in 1947 and may have been inspired by a popular Yosemite Sam cartoon character of the 1940's.
          Folklore has it that the original "Crazy Pirate" neckerchiefs were made in the garage of 1956 Wolverton staff members Steve Schiff with help from Paul Jordon. Frank Glick confirmed this story in a 2005 conversation with Steve Schiff. Steve went on to say that one of the mothers of a troop member cut and sewed the cloth and then the mascot was silk screened or "block printed" on. The 1956 Camp Wolverton neckerchiefs are identical in printing and construction.

         Regardless of the folklore, these neckerchiefs did not hold up well to laundering. The cotton material was thin as was the inked printing and undoubtedly faded after only a couple of washings.
         Camps Wolverton and Josepho introduced cartoon camp mascots of their own in 1946 and 1947, respectively. Camp Slauson was the last of the Crescent Bay Council camps to pick a mascot and they chose Disney Studios' Bambi around 1950.

 


Silk screened or linoleum block imprint on cotton.
Loose merrilled edge.
   


1957
 
  1958
 
 
Silk screened on light blue cotton with hemmed edge.
 
  Silk screened on dark yellow cotton with hemmed edge.
RED OUTLINE in skull & crossed bones.

back to top
 
1959
 
  1960
 
 
1959-60 camper patch sewn on blue cotton.
Loose merrilled edge. Same neckerchief was issued with
a large rocker for camp staff.
  1959-60 camper patch sewn on red cotton.
Loose merrilled edge.
 


 
1961-62
 
  1963-64
 
 
Silk screened on dark yellow cotton with hemmed edge.
Similar to the 1958 neckerchief but
NO RED OUTLINE in skull & crossed bones.
  Silk screened on yellow cotton with red piped border.

 

back to top

1965
 
  1966
 
 
Silk screened on red cotton with black piped border.   Silk screened on light blue cotton with black piped border.



1967
 
  1968
 

 
Silk screened on salmon orange cotton with
brown piped border.
  Silk screened on LIGHT GREEN cotton with
GREEN piped border.

back to top

1969
 
  1970
 

 
Similar to 1968 camper neckerchief. Silk screened on
PALE GREEN cotton with DARK GREEN piped border
  Silk screened on yellow cotton with black piped border.
 



1971
 
  1972 (Transition)
 
 
Silk screened on orange cotton with purple piped border.


 
  Silk screened on green cotton with orange piped border.
Issued during the summer of Crescent Bay Council's merger
with San Fernando Valley Council.  "Boy Scouts of America" replaced Crescent Bay Area Council in the design.


back to top

jump to Emerald Bay neckerchiefs on other pages  >  camper 1973-present   staff 1920's-1986   staff 1987-present    Rugged E


 
Website Builder