Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX
Camp Emerald Bay - Staff T-Shirts 1947-1984  
jump to T-shirts on other pages  >  Staff 1985-present    Leader 1973-79    Camper 1947-84    Camper 1985-present

          There is no evidence that camp T-shirts were used at Emerald Bay prior to its closing in 1940. The tradition of camp T-shirts is thought to have started at Camp Josepho in 1943 where the staff wore white T-shirts as part of their standard summer uniform. It is unknown if T-shirts may were also available for purchase by the campers at Josepho in the mid 1940's. When Camp Emerald Bay re-opened in 1946, the staff had their own T-shirts although currently, examples and documentation for 1946 EB T-shirts is lacking. The first known Emerald Bay T-shirts date to 1947 when both Staff and Camper T-shirts were made. T-shirts have been available at camp continuously ever since, a tradition spanning 70 years and counting.
          Emerald Bay Staff T-shirts have always been white with a version of the camp emblem silk screened on the front over the word "STAFF". In the early years, the T-shirts were made of 100% cotton. While the shirts are still white today, the material has changed to cotton/polyester blends.

1947-Early 1950's


Dark Green silkscreen.
"Crazy Pirate" mascot was used for the first time in 1947 on T-shirts and camp patches.

NOTE: Various Camper T-shirts were used in the 1950's but, to-date, the STAFF versions of those shirts have yet to be found.
(see  >  1950's Camper T-shirts)



Beginning in the late 1950's, A classic "Crazy Pirate" emblem in red and black was used for several years.
These shirts can be distinguished by the color of the pirate hats and the size and boldness of the word "STAFF"

RED Hat - BLACK Lettering

Late 1950's
Extra Bold STAFF


1960
Bold STAFF


1961
Thin STAFF

 

"STAFF"
is in extra bold font and letters almost touch each other.

 
"STAFF" is bold and letters are
spread apart.


"STAFF" is in condensed thin letters.


BLACK Hat - RED Lettering

1962
STAFF is Condensed

1963
S T A F F is Spread
 









 1964
S T A F F is Spread


1965
STAFF is Condensed








1966
BLUE Eyes

 

1967
BLACK Eyes

 






1968-70
Green Background

 

1971
Crescent Bay Area Council

 

1972
Boy Scouts of America


   





Beginning in 1968 and thereafter, logos for the Staff T-Shirts have been smaller and positioned over the left breast.

1973
Manufacturer's Proof Sheet

Staff T-shirt Logo

Silk screen on parchment,
prepared by Stanfield Mills through
B.S.A. National Supply.

NOTE: The 1972 STAFF T-shirt was issued during the summer of Crescent Bay Council's merger with San Fernando Valley Council and before the name of the new Council was decided.  "Boy Scouts of America" replaced Crescent Bay Area Council in the design for 1972. It is known as the transition logo.


Great Western Council Era 1973-1984

  Following the merger of Crescent Bay Area and San Fernando Valley Councils in 1972, Camp Emerald Bay opened for summer
camping in 1973 without significant change from previous years. While the Camp had always been available to scouts from the
San Fernando Valley, the merger only served to create more interest in Emerald Bay as a troop summertime destination.


1973
 

1973
Manufacturer's Proof Sheet


Staff T-shirt Logo



Silk screen on paper, prepared by Allison Manufacturing Co. through
B.S.A. National Supply.



NOTE: Staff T-shirts; Leader T-shirts and Camper T-shirts were issued annually throughout the 1970's.

(see  >  Leader T-shirts 1973-79)


 1980


1981





Pirate has WHITE bandana.


1983
 

1984
 





Back to Top


jump to T-shirts on other pages  >  Staff 1985-present    Leader 1973-79    Camper 1947-84    Camper 1985-present


Website Builder