Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Current Activities & Future Projects  

jump to  >  Wolverton Robbins Nature Center    Historical Plaques & Tamet Room Threshold 2013    
 Restoration of Camp Josepho Staff Photos 2012    Restoration of Lodge Chief Photos July 2011

 
Crescent Bay Council Historical Project Meeting
Camp Josepho - March 8, 2014

          
Once again, the Malibu Lodge Vigil weekend in March served as the gathering of interested Arrow men and women to discuss the activities of the Crescent Bay Council Historical Project. The picture of Anatol Jospeho over the fireplace was restored and light fixtures on the east wall of the lodge were repaired.

     
 
 
Tom Gould gets to work on the Anatol Josepho picture.

 
Marc Medoff dusts off the newly refurbished portrait before replacing above the fireplace.


The Weirs: Four generations of Vigil Honor members



In attendance at the Vigil reunion were Pierce and Bob Weir. Pierce's father Proctor, shared
honors with Jack Davies, founder of Tamet Lodge, as the first Vigil members of the Lodge in 1951.
Bob's son Clint is also a Vigil Honor member.



 
Wolverton-Robbins Nature Education Program
Camp Whitsett - June 1, 2013



New dedication plaque mounted outside the Nature Lodge at Camp Whitsett

          The Crescent Bay Historical Project provided technical, financial, and exhibit support to the new Camp Wolverton Historical Display at Camp Whitsett.  Spearheaded by Crescent Bay Historical Project Director, Frank Glick, this historical display is part of the Wolverton-Robbins Nature Education Program.  The Wolverton-Robbins Nature Education Program has rebuilt the outside and inside of the existing nature lodge building at Whitsett, and is filling it with fun and educational information.  This work will benefit Scouting and is being done to commemorate the 73-year history of Camp Wolverton, and the significant impact made by Mike Robbins to Camp Wolverton, its campers, and staff from the early 1960s through 2011.  Mike passed away in 2012.

                   
           
   


Frank Glick, Crescent Bay Historical Project Director,
and a Camp Wolverton Staff man, speaking at the dedication ceremony.  The Nature Lodge building is in the background, closed-up prior to the grand opening.

   

Grand opening of one-of-two outdoor education areas
attached to the Nature Lodge.  Large panels swing open
at each end of the building with custom-painted information
.

   
           A new wall on the inside of the nature lodge now contains original items that were saved from Camp Wolverton when it closed in 2011.  There are also numerous photographs and explanations put together by Frank Glick and the Crescent Bay Historical Project.  Frank was on Staff at Wolverton as a Scout from 1972 to 1975, and a camp master at the Camp from the 1980s through 2011.




The first visitors in the Nature Lodge, Camp Wolverton Staff from the 1960's, look at historical displays
including the original entrance sign to Camp Wolverton used from the mid 1950's through 2011.



back to top


 
Crescent Bay Council Historical Project Meeting

Camp Josepho - March 1, 2013

Once again, the Malibu Lodge Vigil weekend in March served as the gathering of interested Arrow men and women to discuss the activities of the Crescent Bay Council Historical Project.
New historical frames were mounted including:
  • Historic Tamet Room wooden threshold plaque constructed by Marc Medoff
  • Historical frame explaining the original Tamet Lodge lettering across the stage
  • Historical frames explaining the panels of the Josepho Murals
  • Historical frame explaining the War Memorial and Flag Pole
  • Portrait of Anatol Josepho on the fireplace
  • Large historic Banners from Camp Josepho as a summer camp in the 1940s
  • Restoration and identification of Pop Pudney's portrait in the Tamet Room
  • Repainting of the large Vigil Triangle by members of Malibu Lodge
                 
                               
     
Tom Gould preparing frames for the
Josepho Murals historical plaques.
   
Frank Glick restoring the Frank "Pop" Pudney original
charcoal portrait that hangs in the Tamet Room.
   


 
Tamet Lodge hosted the 1956 Area 12-E Order of the Arrow Conference at Camp Josepho.
As part of "sprucing up" the lodge and camp, photos of past Tamet chiefs were collected and mounted in the room
at the northwest corner of the building. Thereafter, the room was referred to as the Tamet Chiefs Room.
The Crescent Bay Historical Project has been restoring the Tamet Room since 2011.

Tamet Room Threshold Sign
 
  Tamet Room Historical Frame
 

   

Marc Medoff finishes mounting the Tamet Room sign that he carefully crafted to
replicate the original Tamet Lodge lettering and red arrowhead that adorned the top
 of the stage from the early 1940's through 1972.
 
 
 
Tamet Room historical plaque
 describes the original lettering and
 red arrowhead above the stage and includes a photo of the stage
from the 1960's.


Camp Josepho Murals Historical Frames
 
see more  >  information about the Camp Josepho Murals.

     

Frame describing five mural panels to the left
of the stage includes names of many of the scouts depicted in the panels as well as
folklore stories.
see more  >  information about the
Camp Josepho Murals.
 
Frame mounted to the left of the door on the left side of stage
 tells a story of the origins of the Josepho Murals and provides information about the artist,
Tess Razalle Carter.
 
Frame describing four mural panels to the
right of the stage includes names of many
of the scouts depicted in the panels as
well as folklore stories.
see more  >  information about the
 Camp Josepho Murals.


 
War Memorial Historical Frame
 
  The Fireplace
 
  Early 1960's Chiefs
 
       

Frame describes the origins
of the War Memorial and flagpole and shows pictures
of the dedications in 1946-47.
see more about the
War Memorial Monument
 
A portrait of Anatol Josepho was remounted in a prominent place on
the fireplace below the
Josepho Team plaque.

 
 
Past Chiefs Marc Medoff (Tamet)
and Chandy Russell (Walika)



 

 
1940's Historical Camp Josepho Banners
From the Jeff Morley collection, banners depicting covers from promotional brochures during the years that Camp Josepho
served as the summer camp for Crescent Bay Council were hung from back wall of the lodge.

see  >  the complete Camp Josepho brochures
        


   
 
 

Banners placed between the upper windows on the back wall of the lodge show the
brochure covers from 1943-1947. Brochures were used to promote camp.


 
Marc Medoff (who else) doing the "high ladder" work securing the banners in position.

 
 

  back to top
 
Crescent Bay Council Historical Project Meeting
Camp Josepho - March 3, 2012

The Malibu Lodge Vigil weekend in March served as the first gathering of interested Arrow men and women to discuss the activities of the Crescent Bay Council Historical Project. Attendees included:

 Art Brice   Bruce Briggs
  Joe Caraesppa   Frank Casias    Gary Christiansen   Paul Doose
Frank Glick   Tom Gould   Albertus Hoogeveen   Adam Lombard   Barney Mann   Marc Medoff
Jeff Morley   Bridget Porter   Alan Rosen   Brian Solow   Larry Solow   Bill Topkis

A recap of the CBCHP mission and activities was discussed along with these future projects:
  • Creation of frames explaining the Camp Josepho Murals.
  • Creation of a brochure on "historic Camp Josepho"for all who attend the camp.
  • Creation of frames describing the OA Brotherhood plaques surrounding the lodge.
  • Working with the Camp Wolverton Alumni to display historical info within the lodge.
  • Creation of an alphabetical index of names for the brotherhood plaques.
  • Work with Malibu Lodge to update their chiefs photos in the Malibu room.

Camp Josepho Vigil Reunion 
Camp Josepho - March 2012


          The Malibu Lodge 40th anniversary Vigil Honor Call Out and weekend also celebrated the 70th anniversary's of Tamet and Walika Lodges. Members and alumni completed service projects included mounting of staff photos, cleaning of the Brotherhood signature plaques, signing of the Camp Josepho Team plaque, and a Crescent Bay Council Historical Project meeting.

    Viewing the 1944 Camp Josepho Film
 
 
   Chiefs Pow Wow
 
   
            
    Tamet Lodge alums watching the 1944 Camp Josepho film
on the Crescent Bay Council.org website.
 L-R:
Art Brice • Barney Mann • Larry Solow • ------ • Brian Solow
(Image courtesy of Barney Mann) 
 
Past Lodge Chiefs discussing something that seems important.
FRONT L-R: Paul Doose • Marc Medoff • Art Brice
BACKGROUND L-R: Brian Solow • Tom Gould • Frank Glick •
Larry Solow • Dave Simon
(Image courtesy of Barney Mann)

   
 
                                                 Solving a Fifty Year Old Mystery

          The eight-foot tall murals flanking the stage in the Camp Josepho lodge were painted by Tess Razalle Carter between 1943 and 1944 using Crescent Bay Council Scouts as models. A panel depicting Sea Scouts, third from the left, has been the subject of debate and speculation for over half a century. This particular panel appears to have been painted at a different time than the other panels, perhaps even by a different artist, and it is attached to the wall differently from the rest. Folklore had it that the Sea Scout panel was not part of the original mural and covered a different panel that hadn't seen the light of day in almost seventy years. The Vigil reunion seemed like the perfect time to answer the mystery once and for all.
             
         
    Tom Gould on the lift, preparing to unscrew the Sea Scout panel
(Image courtesy of Barney Mann)

          Tom looks behind the Sea Scout panel
with a mirror.
   
                              
              Please contact Tom to find out what he discovered!  See the full story of the Camp Josepho murals.

                                                                               back to top


                                                                         
Saturday Night Vigil Campfire
                                                                                     
(Images courtesy of Barney Mann)
 
            
   
Vigil Honor members went around the circle, each sharing a personal story related to their Scouting and Order of the Arrow experiences
    A fire raged in the grand fireplace, reminiscent of so many fire fires before over the last seven decades.
   

                                                   Updating the Lodge Chiefs Plaque  
 
          
Signatures on the Lodge Chiefs plaque stopped in 1963. The opportunity to fill in signatures on the plaque was not missed by the six former Tamet Lodge Chiefs in attendance. 
                                                   See the full story of the Lodge Chiefs Plaque.

                                                                             (Images courtesy of Barney Mann)
             
               
   
Tom Gould on the lift, removing the Lodge Chiefs plaque from the fireplace. 
  Chiefs L-R: Frank Sanford • Paul Doose • Art Brice •
Jeff Morley • Barney Mann • Marc Medoff
   

   
     
 
1964-65
Paul Doose
  1965-66
Art Brice
  1966-67
Frank Sanford
  1968-69
Barney Mann
  1971-72
Jeff Morley

                                                                              back to top
 
                                                       Camp Josepho Staff Photos

          Camp Josepho served as a summer camp from it's opening in 1941 through the summer of 1948. The popularity of Camps Wolverton and Emerald Bay, both of which reopened as summer camps in 1946 following World War II, shifted the use of Camp Josepho to a weekend camp in 1949. In over sixty years that followed, photos of the 1940's Camp Josepho summer camp staffs had never been assembled and displayed at the camp. Through the efforts of the Crescent Bay Historical Project (CBHP), staff photos were gathered, framed and mounted in the Lodge on the wall between the fireplace and the kitchen.



See staff photo close-ups
We are still looking for
the following staff photos: 1941, 1942 , 1943, 1948. Please contact if you can help.


back to top

         Lodge Chiefs' Pictures at Camp Josepho  

July 2011

          The Crescent Bay Council Historical Project has recently completed a restoration of the Tamet Lodge Chief photos on the wall they have adorned for over fifty years in the north west room of the Camp Josepho lodge. The picture wall was started in the mid 195o's and was abandoned after 1966. Of the thirty-eight Tamet Lodge Chiefs between 1942-72, the Chiefs' wall contained twenty-four pictures. The remaining fourteen images were either unknown, removed or never incorporated onto the wall.

          The Crescent Bay Council Historical Project, through its archive of photos and records, was able to replace twelve of the missing fourteen pictures. With a little bit of luck, images for the remaining two Lodge Chiefs will be located and can be added to the wall. New frames with non-glare glass were purchased for the restoration and all of the images were cleaned and restored. New matting with updated and verifiable historical information was added along with the addition of a frame providing information about the Lodge Chiefs.


          Additionally, the Camp Josepho Team Plaque was located, cleaned and returned to its historical location above the mantle of the great stone fireplace in the lodge. A frame providing historical information about the plaque was mounted on the wall to the left of the fireplace.

          On your next visit to Camp Josepho, be sure to see these restored historical traditions.




Left Wall - 1942-62
 

Right Wall - 1963-72
 




    




CBHP founder Jeff Morley, cleaning newly mounted photos.
Portrait of Frank "Pop" Pudney on left.


Tom Gould, CBHP Director, & Jeff Morley finishing the right wall. Photos for left wall on table, ready for mounting.



back to top

jump to  >  Historical Plaques & Tamet Room Threshold 2013     Restoration of Camp Josepho Staff Photos   
Restoration of Lodge Chief Photos July 2011


 
Website Builder