Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Community Strips  V-Z     

jump to Community Strip pages >    About     A-C     D-O     P-T


       
Venice 
Community Troop Numerals

     Before embroidered community strips were approved for uniform wear in 1928, Venice Troops wore special 'V' felt troop numerals during the 1920's. Some Venice troops continued this practice into the 1930's.
see more about
Community Troop Numerals



Mid 1920's
Venice Troop 3

  Mid 1920's
Venice Troop 7 Abraham Lincoln School sponsor

Late 1920's
Venice Troop 34








Mid 1920's
Venice Troop 3
  

Late 1920's-30's
Venice Troop 32








Venice
District: Marina 1958-72
Venice 1930's-57

       Venice is a district of the City of Los Angeles, 14 miles west of downtown. It is bordered by Culver City on the east;  the Ocean Park district of Santa Monica on the north; Mar Vista on the northeast; Marina Del Rey on the south and the Pacific Ocean to the west. The town was founded by tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney in 1905 as the town of Ocean Park. The northern section was annexed into Santa Monica while the southern section changed its name to Venice in 1911 and was then annexed into the City of Los Angeles in 1925. That annexation led to a brief time when Venice had to decide if they wanted to be in Los Angeles or Crescent Bay Councils.

1930's
  Tan & Dark Red-Scouts







Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts




1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts





1955-Late 50's
Red & White-All Scouts

TYPE 1 - Thin Letters


Late 1950's-Mid 60's
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 2 - Medium Letters


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top

 
  
             Village Green
                         District: Culver Palms

      Village Green, originally named Baldwin Hills Village, is
a neighborhood at the foot of Baldwin Hills in unincorporated Los Angeles and east of Culver City. The boundaries are generally considered to be Rodeo Rd. to the north; Coliseum St. to the south; Hauser Blvd. to the west and La Brea Ave. on the east.
      The neighborhood consists of a large planned community of condominiums designed in the late 1930's, built out by 1942 and among the oldest of its type in the nation.
As such, the community  has been designated both a
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument and a National Historic Landmark.



   



1960's-72
Red & White-All Scouts

  




  





West Hollywood
District: Beverly Hills

       West Hollywood, known as the town of Sherman until it changed its name in 1925, was partly in Crescent Bay Area Council and partly in Los Angeles Area Council. It was incorporated as a city in 1984. Prior to that, it was a district of the City of Los Angeles. It is bordered on the west by Beverly Hills; the Hollywood Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles on the north; the Fairfax district of Los Angeles on the south and the Hollywood district of Los Angeles to the east.
 

1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts





Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts

1955-72
Red & White-All Scouts


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top



West Los Angeles
District: Golden Trails 1957-72
Westwood 1937-56

     West Los Angeles is a district of the City of Los Angeles. It is bordered by Santa Monica and Brentwood on the west; the Los Angeles National Cemetery and Westwood to the north; Rancho Park and Century City to the east and Mar Vista to the south. What is now West Los Angeles was originally founded as the city of Barrett in 1896. The name was changed to Sawtelle in 1899. Sawtelle was annexed by the City of Los Angeles in 1922.


1930's
  Tan & Dark Red-Scouts







Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts


1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts





Late 1930's-50's
  Blue & White-Sea Scouts


1955-Late 50's
Red & White-All Scouts

TYPE 1 - Thin Letters






Early 1960's-72
Red & White-All Scouts

TYPE 2 - Thick Letters



NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top



Westchester
District: Marina 1958-72
Venice 1930's-57

       Westchester is a district of the City of Los Angeles that was partly in Crescent Bay Area Council and partly in Los Angeles Area Council. Los Angeles International Airport comprises the southern half of the district. It is bounded on the north by Culver City and the area now known as Playa Vista; on the east by the city of Inglewood; on the south by the city of El Segundo and on the west by Playa Del Rey. Westchester was developed by real estate magnet, Fritz Burns, in the 1930's.
 


1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts





Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts

1955-Mid 1960's
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 1 - Small Letters






Late 1960's-72
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 2
- Big Letters
   


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top



Westdale
District: Golden Trails 1957-72
Westwood 1937-56

       Westdale is a neighborhood of the Los Angeles district
of Mar Vista, comprising its northern section. Its borders are generally considered to be National Blvd. on the north; Palms Blvd. on the south; Inglewood Blvd. on the west and Sawtelle Blvd. to the east.

  

1955-Early 60's
Red & White-All Scouts






 


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.
 

    

Westgate Hills
District: Santa Monica 1930's?
Westwood Late 1930's-40's

       Westgate Hills is an extinct portion of the northeastern part of Pacific Palisades in the foothills of the Santa Monica mountains and the current district of the City of Los Angeles known as Westgate. By the 1930's the neighborhood was known as Westgate Hills just as the then-new neighborhood to its northeast was known as Westwood Hills.
      Westgate Hills was roughly bordered by Sunset Blvd. to the south, Bel-Air Country Club to the east,  Mandeville Canyon to the west and the Santa Monica mountains to the north.
       Development began in the Westgate area after establishment of the 600-acre Pacific Branch of the National Home for Disabled Soldiers and Sailors (later known as the Sawtelle Veterans Home) in the 1880s. A small community sprang up outside that facility's west gate, taking on the name Westgate. Annexed by the City of Los Angeles on June 14, 1916, Westgate's 49 square miles included large parts of what is now the Pacific Palisades and a small portion of  Bel-Air

Mid-Late 1930's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts
TYPE 1 - Hand-stitched, spread-out Letters



Late 1930's-40's
Khaki & Red-Scouts
TYPE 2 - Thin condensed Letters





 

  
 
    Westwood
Community Troop Numeral

     Before embroidered community strips were approved for uniform wear in 1928, Westwood
Troop 1 wore a special 'W' felt troop numeral during
the 1920's.

see more about
Community Troop Numeral


Mid 1920's
  Westwood Troop 1







Westwood
District: Westwood

       Westwood is a district of the City of Los Angeles and the home of UCLA. It is bordered by Bel Air and Beverly Glen on the north; Beverly Hills on the east; West Los Angeles and Century City on the south and  the Los Angeles National Cemetery and the historical neighborhood of Westwood Hills on the west.  Westwood was originally the Wolfskill ranch which was purchased in 1919 by Arthur Letts (benefactor of the Boy Scouts and founder of the Broadway Department Store chain). After his death in 1923, the area was developed by his son-in-law, Harold Janss in the 1920's.

Late 1930's-Early 40's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts









1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts




Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts


1945-54
Green & Brown-Explorer Scouts




1955-Late 50's
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 1 - Thin Letters




Early 1960's-72
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 2 - Thick Letters


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top
 


Westwood Hills
District: Westwood

       Westwood Hills is an extinct name for a five square mile western extension of the original Westwood district of Los Angeles between Brentwood to the west and the UCLA campus to the east. It was bounded on the north by Bel-Air and on the south by the Los Angeles National Cemetery which is on Federal land.  Westwood Hills was originally purchased in 1919 by Arthur Letts (benefactor of the Boy Scouts and founder of the Broadway Department Store chain). After his death in 1923, the neighborhood was developed by his son-in-law, Harold Janss in the 1930's.

Late 1930's-Mid 40's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts







Late 1930's-Mid 1940's
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts


  
 
 


Wilshire
District: Beverly Hills-Culver Palms


          Wilshire is an area of Los Angles south of Beverly Hills and east of Robertson Blvd. It comprises an area along Wilshire Blvd. that passes through the Carthay and South Robertson districts of Los Angeles within the Crescent Bay Council boundaries and then east of La Cienega Blvd. into Los Angeles Area Council. It is unknown if this strip was associated with a pack or troop in Crescent Bay Area Council.
 

1960's-72
Red & White-All Scouts










NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top

jump to Community Strip pages >    About     A-C     D-O     P-T


Website Builder