Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Community Strips P-T  

jump to Community Strip pages >    About     A-C     D-O     V-Z




Pacific Palisades  
District: Will Rogers 1956-72
Santa Monica 1930's-47, 1955
  Wilshire 1948-54

       Pacific Palisades is a district of the City of Los Angeles between Santa Monica and Malibu. It is surrounded by Topanga State Park, Will Rogers State Park, and Santa Ynez State Park to the north and west;, Brentwood and Santa Monica to the east, and the Pacific Ocean to the south. It is also the location of Camp Josepho and the historic Temescal Canyon Camp. Pacific Palisades was founded by Rev. Charles H. Scott in 1922.
 

       Late 1930's-Early 40's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts



 


1945-54
Green & Brown-Explorer Scouts

(image courtesy of DR Paul Millman)
 

    1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts

 

 


1955-Late 50's
Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 1 - Spread Letters



    Early 1960's-72
  Red & White-All Scouts
TYPE 2 - Condensed Letters

NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.




Palms
District: Culver Palms

       Palms is a district of the City of Los Angeles. It is bordered by Culver City on the south and east; the districts of Cheviot Hills and South Robertson to the north and the districts of Westside Village and Mar Vista to the west. Palms was founded in 1886 by three developers: Joseph Curtis, Edward Sweetser and C.J. Harrison. Both Palms and the entire San Fernando Valley were annexed into the City of Los Angles on the same day in 1915.


1930's
Tan & Dark Red-Scouts



Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts



1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts



1945-54
Green & Brown-Explorer Scouts



1955-Mid 60's
Red & White-All Scouts


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.


 
 
 
Pico
District: Golden Trails 1957-61
Westwood 1937-57


          Pico is an extinct West Los Angeles neighborhood that was centered around the intersection of Pico & Sepulveda Boulevards. The neighborhood was first divided in two around 1958 when construction for the Interstate 405 freeway began, running North/South between Sawtelle & Sepulveda Boulevards. Three years later, the neighborhood was basically obliterated when construction began for the East/West Interstate 10 freeway and intersection with the 405.
          The Pico neighborhood is thought to have been bounded by Pico Blvd. on the North; National Blvd. to the South; Sepulveda Blvd. to the East; and Barrington Ave. to the West.
          In 1949, Crescent Bay Council built a new Headquarters in the Pico neighborhood on Gateway Blvd. The freeway construction also required that Council Headquarters be moved to the location on Palms Ave. in West Los Angeles.
      1955-1961
Red & White-All Scouts

 










   
     


back to top


  Playa Del Rey
District: Marina 1958-72
Venice 1940's-57

         Playa Del Rey (Spanish for "Beach of the King") is a beachfront community within the City of Los Angeles. It is bordered by Marina Del Rey & the current community of Playa Vista to the north; Westchester & Los Angeles International Airport to the east; El Segundo to the south & the Pacific Ocean to the west.
        Development of Playa Del Rey began in 1928. In the late 1950's, over 60% of the homes in Playa Del Ray were claimed by emanate domain for the construction of  Los Angeles International Airport. They were subsequently destroyed to clear the flight path west of the new runways.  
 
    1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts



 

  1955-Mid 1960's
Red & White-All Scouts



 

NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top



Rancho Park
District: Westwood

       Rancho Park is a district of the City of Los Angeles. Its boundaries include Century City and Cheviot Hills to the east; Westside Village and Mar Vista to the west and south; and West Los Angeles to the north. The neighborhood was first developed in the 1920's and was named by real estate broker, Bill Heyler, after World War II.
  



               1954-Mid 1960's
Red & White-All Scouts







   

NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.




Santa Monica 
Community Patches &
Troop Numerals


     Before embroidered community strips were approved for uniform wear in 1928, Santa Monica Troops wore special 'SM' felt troop numerals during the 1920's.


see more about
Community Troop Numerals










Late 1920's-Early 1930's

Santa Monica community shoulder patch.
Troops could wear this patch on the shoulder and a numeral underneath


Felt on Felt with backing.
  1927
Santa Monica Troop 1


Early 1930's
Santa Monica Troop 1



back to top


Santa Monica
District: Santa Monica
Wilshire 1948-54

       The City of Santa Monica is surrounded by the City of Los Angeles on three sides and the Pacific Ocean on the west. To the north are the Los Angeles districts of Pacific Palisades and Brentwood; to the east the districts of West Los Angeles and Mar Vista and to the south the district of Venice. Santa Monica was founded by Robert S. Baker and Nevada Senator John P. Jones in 1875. The town was incorporated as a city in 1886.


1930's
Tan & Dark Red-Scouts



Late 1930's-Early 40's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts



1940's-54
Khaki & Red-Scouts



Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts



1930's-50's
Blue & White-Sea Scouts





1955-72
Red & White-All Scouts

NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top
 

                Sherman
                        District: Beverly Hills

        Sherman was the original name of the city of West Hollywood. It was founded around 1897 when Moses H. Sherman and his brother-in-law, Eli P. Clark, built a rail yard and power house for the Pasadena and Pacific Railroad in open agricultural land midway between the City of Los Angeles and the beach town of Santa Monica. That route is now Santa Monica Blvd.
        In an effort to upgrade its image and create a link to the movie industry, Sherman changed its name to West Hollywood in 1925. However, the town was still commonly referred to as Sherman well into the late 1930's .

Late 1930's
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts



Late 1930's-50's
White & Blue-Sea Scouts Dress Uniform









Topanga
District: Will Rogers 1956-72
Santa Monica 1930's-47, 1955
Sunset 1948-54

       Topanga is a small town in the Santa Monica Mountains about 15 miles northwest of the City of Santa Monica. It is bordered by the neighborhood of Fernwood to the south; parks and unincorporated land of Los Angeles County. The town started in the 1920's as a weekend getaway for Hollywood movie stars. Topanga Canyon was the location of Camp Slauson.



Late 1930's-Early 40's
Light Khaki & Red-Scouts




Late 1930's-54
Blue & Gold-Cub Scouts



1955-72
Red & White-All Scouts


NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

back to top

jump to Community Strip pages >    About     A-C     D-O      V-Z


Website Builder