Crescent Bay Historical Project       CONTACT   Page Finder INDEX

Community Strips - About     

jump to Community Strip pages >   A-C     D-O     P-T     V-Z

About Community Strips
 
        
          The National Council of the Boy Scouts authorized use of embroidered community strips in 1928. These strips were to be worn below the seam of the right shoulder and were to match the color of the scout uniform. It is not known when the scout troops of Crescent Bay Council adopted community strips. During the 1920's, the Council had a different way of identifying the community a troop was from. Special felt troop numerals were used that had the city initials followed by the troop number. Crescent Bay community troop numerals are known from BH (Beverly Hills); SM (Santa Monica); V (Venice);  (W) Westwood and may have existed for other cities as well. It appears that Crescent Bay Council was one of the few councils in the country to use community troop numerals. They are among the oldest and rarest of all insignia from Crescent Bay Area Council.

Crescent Bay Community Troop Numerals
1920's


 Beverly Hills Troop 42
    Santa Monica Troop 1

 Venice Troop 3
 
  

see more in
Beverly Hills community strips

see more in
Santa Monica community strips


see more in
Venice community strips


          By the mid 1930's, Crescent Bay Council scouts could be seen wearing the "new" community strips on their uniforms. In that era, scout uniforms came in four colors: tan for scouts, blue for Cub Scouts, and white & navy blue for Sea Scouts. Air Scout blue uniforms started in the early 1940's and the forest green uniform for Explorer Scouts was introduced around 1945. As the color of the scout shirts changed over the years, the community strips for them also changed. Beginning around 1953, the National Committee on Insignia changed the colors of the strips to red with white lettering for all scouts. Sea Scouts, however, retained their navy blue and white strips sometime into the 1950's.

                                         Dates and Colors of Community Strips

1930's
SCOUTS
TAN with (DARK) RED Letters

Late 1930's-Early 1940's
SCOUTS
LIGHT KHAKI with RED Letters

Late 1940's-54
SCOUTS
KHAKI with RED Letters



 


 

Late 1930's-54
CUB SCOUTS
(DARK) BLUE with GOLD Letters


1930's-50's

SEA SCOUTS-DRESS UNIFORM
WHITE with (NAVY) BLUE Letters


1930's-50's

SEA SCOUTS
(NAVY) BLUE felt with WHITE Letters




1940's-54

AIR SCOUTS
BLUE with BLUE Letters



1945-54

EXPLORER SCOUTS
(DARK) GREEN with BROWN Letters



1955-72

ALL SCOUTS
RED with WHITE Letters


                                  
NOTE: Red and White strips exist in many minor varieties of color shade and twill coarseness.

The Communities of Crescent Bay

          Crescent Bay Area Council comprised the western coastal area of the city of
Los Angeles, California. The city and Council was divided into an intricate jig saw puzzle of districts and neighborhoods bounded by Mullholland drive on the north;  La Cienega Blvd. and Laurel Canyon Blvd. on the east; Imperial Blvd on the south and the Pacific ocean to the
Ventura County line on the west. Within this area of Los Angeles were three incorporated cites: Beverly Hills, Culver City and Santa Monica, each completely surrounded by the City of Los Angeles and unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County.


Neighborhood & Districts of Westside Los Angeles
Current Boundaries



White areas are part of Los Angeles city limits. Gray areas are incorporated cities,
unincorporated parts of Los Angels County or Federal land. Green line is the approximate boundary of
Crescent Bay Area Council in 1972. Red lines are interstate Freeways.

         
The districts and neighborhoods of westside Los Angeles, evolved at a time in the early Twentieth Century when L.A.'s population was a fraction of what it is today. Roadways and major thoroughfares had yet to be built (including the roads that ultimately became the Council boundaries) and there was substantial open space between the various small communities. As a western suburban expansion of central Los Angeles proper, the west side in the 1920's was basically "the sticks" until one reached the beachfront resort communities of Santa Monica and Venice.
          In the years following World War II, developers gobbled up all of the remaining vacant land on the west side and neighborhoods filled with modest homes sprang up in every direction. Further infrastructure development like Los Angeles International Airport, the San Diego Freeway (Interstate 405) and Santa Monica Freeway (Interstate 10) cut through new neighborhoods built only ten years previously, further reorganizing a rapidly changing maze of districts, communities and neighborhoods.

         Community strips for Crescent Bay Area Council are known to exist for:
  • Each of the three incorporated cities within the council boundaries, Beverly Hills, Culver City and Santa Monica.
  • Communities that were cities prior to annexation by Los Angeles (like Venice). 
  • Districts of the City of Los Angeles (like Brentwood). 
  • Neighborhoods within districts of Los Angeles (like Loyola Village & Baldwin). 
  • Extinct neighborhoods (like Pico), dismantled by unchecked development & eminent domain.
  • District names of Crescent Bay Area Council such as Culver-Palms and Marina.
  • Los Angeles          
              Certain district communities of Los Angeles such as Westchester and West Hollywood, were partly in Crescent Bay Council and partly in Los Angeles Area Council. The same community strips were worn by scouts in both councils. Starting in the late 1950's, Crescent Bay Council began phasing out many of the smaller community names by combining them into the larger District named strips like Westwood; Marina and Culver Palms.
 
         The National Committee on Insignia began replacing community strips with the introduction of full-color embroidered Council Shoulder Patches (CSP's) in April 1970.  Not all councils issued CSP’s right away; Crescent Bay Area Council and San Fernando Valley Council continuing using red and white community strips through the time they merged in 1972. Great Western Council immediately issued new CSP's and all of the previous community strips for Crescent Bay (as well as the San Fernando Valley) were discontinued.
         Because of this unique timing, there is a clear demarcation ending use of community strips for Crescent Bay Council in 1972 without any continuation into the Great Western Council era. Subsequent to the end of Crescent Bay as a Council, two communities have incorporated into cities: West Hollywood in 1984, and Malibu in 1991.


                                                                jump to Community Strip pages >   A-C     D-O     P-T     V-Z









Website Builder